Let it go | The books that disappointed me.


18007564Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000040_00008]22024786
Andy Weir – The Martian.
Rating: 3 out of 5. 

I think everyone is familiar with this concept by now. This book is recently adapted as movie with Matt Damon. The story is about Marc and how he strands on Mars after a failed mission. His crew believes he is dead and manage to go on their way back to Earth, but Marc is not dead at all. It is up to his intelligence and education to survive long enough, so that they can save him. That means he has to find a way to grow enough food, which is right up his sleeve as biologist, and he has to find a way to communicate with Earth.

This book has a lot of glowing reviews and I have seen many blogging friends rave about the story. Normally I would not have picked this up, but I went in and came out disappointed. This book is definitely well-researched, there is no denying that. It is obvious that Weir knows what he is talking about and I was blown away by Marc's intelligence and humor under his difficult circumstances. The thing is, I don't care about math and if I read a book, I don't want to have a feeling I'm reading a manual. This felt more like a 'how to survive on Mars' guide then a fictional story. I was bored and really struggled at times, but in the end I was satisfied that I've finished it.

I also watched the movie and I think the concept worked better on the screen. They skipped all the explanations, which made the story much faster.

Jamie Cassidy – Hawthorne.
Rating: 2 out of 5.

I went into this book with different expectations. For some reason I was under the impression this book was going to be a retelling and while there are fairytale elements, it was written as horror. There were definitely a few creepy moments, but I didn't care enough for any of the characters, so they didn't make a lasting impression on me. Heather wasn't interesting and I also disliked the regular POV switches. The story behind her family and why all the things happened was okay, but I will not read the sequel.

Licia Troisi – Nihal of the land of the wind.
Rating: 2 out of 5. 
I really liked the cover and the blurb sounded interesting enough, so I went into this book expecting an interesting story. Instead, I was rewarded with a cliche tale about a girl that annoyed me often. Nihal had all the potential to blow my mind. At times she is strong, I admired her strength to go after her dream and she could be brave. That is unfortunately snowed under her constant whining and naive choices. I liked that the author tried to show that crying doesn't mean you are weak, but the endless crying sessions of Nihal started to get on my nerves. The cliche elements made it hard to feel anything for the story.

Nihal is the last of her species, sporting violet eyes and blue hair.
Nihal is the first female to enter the Academy to become a Dragon knight.
Nihal turns out to be the best fighter of everyone.
Country is in war against one big enemy, called the Tyrant.

I liked that there is no romance, only friendship between her and her once-enemy-wizard-friend and her relationship with her father and later on aunt was nicely portrayed, but there was nothing that made this book stand out between other fantasies. I will not continue this series (and the sequels are not translated yet anyway). Shame.

17 comments

  1. I loved the movie The Martian but the book went waaaaay over my head and I had to stop reading because of that. I don't know that second book but I do know the third. I read it and enjoyed it, but not that much. I know my best friend is a fan of this author other series, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually saw the movie The Martian and I really liked it but I have a feeling I might feel like you when I read the book. I still want to gibe it a try though :) I don't like math either so I think we'll feel the same way here^^ It's rare but sometimes a book works better as a movie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mel! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also gave The Martian the same rating as you. Mark actually kind of got on my nerves a bit in the book, and all the sciencey info dumps bugged me. I enjoyed the film a whole lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved the film adaptation of The Martian, but somehow I'm just not at all enticed to read the book. Now that I know your opinion I think I'm convinced to just stay with my love for the film, and leave the book be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a lot of movies where the concept worked better than in the book, and that's because in movies you need to explain faster the plot or the movie becomes a fiasco
    Anyway, thanks for sharing the books you didn't enjoy

    Ruty @Reading…Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to see these disappointed you. The only one I have heard of, and read, is The Martian. Personally, I loved it. The science and maths of it all went straight over my head, but still seemed to fascinate me. I think Mark Watney's personality was what won that book for me, I just loved him and he made me laugh so much. Plus I was far too heavily invested in whether he would make it out alive or not, I think I seemed to forget he was fictional haha. Definitely feel the concept works better on the screen as you can see and don't need to read all his equations and workings out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I've never heard the comparison that "The Martian" read like a manual, but I'm glad you've brought it to my attention because I think I would be bored to tears! I think I'll stick to the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of want to read The Martian...but just to know what the fuss is about! Eeek, I don't like maths or manuals and hardcore sci-fi stuff ALWAYS goes completely over my head. :O So I honestly think I might be an commit the bookworm taboo and watch the movie first, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jammer dat The Martian niet zo wat was! De film heeft qua beeld mijn voorkeur (Mars ziet er zo mooi uit!), aan de andere kant vond ik de humor in het boek beter naar voren komen dan in de film.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen the movie of The Martian and really enjoyed it and planned to pick up the book. Thanks for the heads-up about all of the dull math and science, which I would absolutely HATE. I'll probably skip the book then, and relive the story again through a rewatch of the movie! :)

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been putting The Martian off too because... well, sci-fi and hardcore science/physics/explaining stuff I don't know in detail sounds terrifying and not for me. At all. Sorry to hear that you weren't a fan of any of these. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these yet, have heard so much about The Martian though! Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sort of want to read The Martian before I watch the movie (yes, I haven't done either) but I have WAY too much to read! You know how it goes...

    Have a brilliant week!

    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, I'm so sorry that these books were disappointing Mel :\ That is never any fun. I have only seen The Martian, the movie, and I liked it, but it was also pretty boring. Ugh. And you say the book is even more boring? Ahhh. So glad I haven't bought it, lol. Not for me :) But aw, I'm sorry you didn't love it :\ But glad you liked it :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww...it's never any fun to be disappointed by a book, especially if the book comes with a lot of hype. :( I can completely see where you're coming from though Mel re: The Martian - it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Thanks for sharing this though and, as always, fantastic mini-reviews! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was one of the ones that loved The Martian movie and book, but it really does feel like a How to Survive in Mars manual lol. It felt super sciencey at times, but I'm glad you ended up being satisfied. The last 2 books don't interest me at all, especially with the whiny Nihal unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read the first of Troisi's books when it came out here in Italy, and I have to completely agree with you.

    It was very exciting to see an Italian fantasy writer becoming so popular, but when I read the book... I nearly couldn't stand it. Three times, I almost gave up on it because I got really really fade up with Nihal. There was nothign realistic about her, so I could not care about her.
    Somehow, I managed to finish the first book. Never picked up another by the same author.

    :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.