Thursday, March 10, 2016 21:16

Review. 253. Tess Sharpe – Far from you.

20517739Title: Far from you.
Author: Tess Sharpe.
Pages:  343.
Published: March 27th 2014 by Indigo
Sort: Stand-alone.
Goodreads
Nine months. Two weeks. Six days. That's how long recovering addict Sophie's been drug-free. Four months ago her best friend, Mina, died in what everyone believes was a drug deal gone wrong - a deal they think Sophie set up. Only Sophie knows the truth. She and Mina shared a secret, but there was no drug deal. Mina was deliberately murdered. Forced into rehab for an addiction she'd already beaten, Sophie's finally out and on the trail of the killer—but can she track them down before they come for her?
Rating:

This book messed with my mind. The compelling writing-style and jumping between storylines hooked me; it made me curious to find out what truly happened that night Sophie's life completely changed. Suddenly, she lost her best friend and was forced to go in rehab for an addiction she no longer suffered from. Sophie is done with all the accusations and decided to go and find the truth herself: why was Mina killed?

Going back and forth between different time periods can be a tricky thing, but Tess nailed it in this story. We get to see Sophie before, during and after the murder of Mina and it was an intricate way to puzzle the pieces together.

Before: Sophie is addicted to painkillers after an accident that leaves her with a limp. We see her struggle with her injury and the pain. During: Sophie is on her way with Mina to talk with someone who helps Mina with her journalism story. After: Sophie is still alive and Mina is dead. The whole scene was set-up as a drugs deal gone bad and Sophie's parents don't believe her story. Her mother brings her to rehab and when she is released, we see her mission to bring out the truth.

During this story we find out what secret is between Sophie and Mina and how she deals with her feelings for Mina and Mina's brother Trev. The conclusion was satisfying, but also came a little out of nowhere. The book did leave you questioning who was behind the murder, but as far as I can recall there were hardly any clues. This made the culprit a bit vague and not stand out as a character.

Credits to the author for the healthy portrayal of Sophie's parents. We see a family that is torn apart after Sophie's addiction and how her parents try to make the best out of it. It is clear they love her and believe they make the right choices for her. It shows that parents can make mistakes too, even if they do it out of love.
quote review"We walk into the rest of our lives together, not knowing it'll end before it's truly started."
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see that you really liked Far From You! I read it the year it came out, and I was super impressed. The storytelling is sharp and careful, the characters are so interesting and I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember picking this one up, not knowing what it was about, and then being really, really impressed with it. Especially the character relationships and how well written I thought they were (and you're SO on point with the parents.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review Mel :D Yay for enjoying this book so much. <3 I don't think it would be for me, but ohh, you are making me curious. Yay for good writing and story :) And yay for the parents being good too, lol. That almost never happens. Sigh. I'm sorry the ending was a bit weird, but glad you still liked the book a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a thriller, it's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting! I don't usually like thriller, but I'd love to give this one a go!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this a while ago because I knew I would love it, and it sounds like you did too! I haven't picked it up yet, but I like mindfucks lol. Love the sound of the alternating timelines and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, this sounds like a mindfuck of a thrilled and I LOVE stories like that! Especially when they're properly executed like this one seems to be! The mystery is already drawing me in - I want to know ALL the details and ALL the secrets XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book actually has never been on my radar but it sounds interesting plus if its almost perfect that intrigues me for sure. It sounds crazy!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh, this is one of the books I told myself I'll get but end up forgetting. Must keep it in mind this time around. It sounds really well written. I love how it's told in multiple time frames. Great review!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so awesome to see the MC with an addiction. Kudos for not steering away from the touch subject and the more unlikable traits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0