Monday, March 28, 2016 11:02

Review 254. Megan Morrison – Grounded.

23399287Title: Grounded.
Author: Megan Morrison.
Pages:  384.
Published: April 28th 2015 by Arthur A. Levine Books
Sort: Part one of Tyme.
Goodreads 
In all of Tyme, from the Redlands to the Grey, no one is as lucky as Rapunzel. She lives in a magic tower that obeys her every wish; she reads wonderful books starring herself as the heroine; her hair is the longest, most glorious thing in the world. And she knows this because Witch tells her so---her beloved Witch, who protects her from evil princes, the dangerous ground under the tower, even unhappy thoughts. Rapunzel can't imagine any other life. Then a thief named Jack climbs into her room to steal one of her enchanted roses. He's the first person Rapunzel's ever met who isn't completely charmed by her (well, the first person she's met at all, really), and he is infuriating-- especially when he hints that Witch isn't telling her the whole truth. Driven by anger at Jack and her own nameless fears, Rapunzel descends to the ground for the first time, and finds a world filled with more peril than Witch promised ... and more beauty, wonder, and adventure than she could have dreamed.
Rating:

This book did not turn out to be as epic as I thought it would be in the beginning. After a couple of pages I declared on Goodreads that this book would definitely end up in my top 10 of 2016. After finishing, I'm not sure if it will get a place, but it was highly enjoyable and I do recommend it. Also: the map is at the end of the book. No idea who came up with that idea, but all the way through the book I was thinking: I need a map to visualize this world! So, imagine my surprise when I found it at the end.. I'm happy they have one, but it is a strange placement.

Rapunzel has a quiet life in her tower, where she is cared for by Witch, the only mother she knows. Witch makes sure she is safe from the scary outside world, where princess try to marry her for her looks. No one has been able to reach to Rapunzel, as far as she knows, until Jack climbs into her tower. Jack only wants to find a cure for the fairy realm, so in return they can help him with his Giant problem. He helps her find out that there is more behind Witch than Rapunzel thought and she ends up leaving her tower for a quest.

Rapunzel was terribly naive and while I get that she might be more innocent than the average girl, at some point it started to get on my nerves. I liked how she cared for Witch, despite finding out what she has done. It was understandable and I always appreciate it when people can find something good in others. I also think she had a point when it comes to her birth parents.

Jack was a nice boy and I liked his mission to save his family. He had a hard time putting up with Rapunzel and I loved their bickering. The best thing about Middle Grade is always the fact they portray friendship between girls and boys without feeling the need to turn it into a romance. I think this book will appeal to younger girls who will be less distracted by Rapunzel's naive behavior.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean: I don't mind innocence in my characters but some of them end up innocent to a fault and it gets frustrating! This sounds cute but I'm sorry it didn't quite deliver for you like you were hoping. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first I've heard of this book! I feel like I keep finding out about more and more retellings and I need to read them ALL! I'm sorry this one didn't turn out to be as great as you were hoping, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. Great review :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rapunzel is my favorite princess EVER, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for this! Great review! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm so sorry this book wasn't as amazing as you wanted it to be Mel :\ That is always the most disappointing. But I'm glad you still liked it a lot, yay :) But aw, the girl doesn't sound all that interesting, hih. But still seems like a cute book :) Might be for me, one day. Thank you for sharing about it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This middle grade novel sounds pretty cute! I definitely think I'd like to check it out (mostly because I'm a sucker for Rapunzel retellings).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds a bit young with Rapunzel's behaviour, but it does sound like an enjoyable MG novel. It's definitely weird to have the map at the end! Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0