Tuesday, March 15, 2016 20:04

TTT | Fairytale retellings I can't wait to read.

This weeks topic was actually something else, but I want to combine it together with my (fairytale) retelling challenge. I'm going to spotlight all the retellings I'm planning to read this year.

23308084224287072465766025167846
Renee Ahdieh – The rose and the dagger.
I am surrounded on all sides by a desert. A guest, in a prison of sand and sun. My family is here. And I do not know whom I can trust.
I'm highly anticipating this one, because The wrath and the dawn ended up being one of the best books I've read in 2015. The ending was cruel and I need to know how it's going to end!

Jessica Khoury – The forbidden wish.
She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world... I love Aladdin and Jinni's, but I haven't read any book about that so far. I can't wait to see how this works out.

Wendy Higgings – The great hunt.
Kill the beast. Win the girl.
This book is inspired on 'The signing bone' I love that this features a tale that is not as popular as, let'say, Snow white and Sleeping beauty.

Sophie Jordan – Reign of shadows.
eventeen years ago, an eclipse cloaked the kingdom of Relhok in perpetual darkness. In the chaos, an evil chancellor murdered the king and queen and seized their throne.
This is inspired on Rapunzel and I love how dark it sounds!

Brie Sprangler – Beast.
She is who she’s always been—an amazing photographer and devoted friend, who also happens to be transgender. But will Dylan see it that way?
A retelling about a transgender? Yes please!


26085520183369851792739518584855

Sarah Porter - Vassa in the night.
In the enchanted kingdom of Brooklyn, the fashionable people put on cute shoes, go to parties in warehouses, drink on rooftops at sunset, and tell themselves they’ve arrived. A whole lot of Brooklyn is like that now—but not Vassa’s working-class neighborhood.
I love retellings of lesser-known fairytales!

Wendy Spinale – Everland.
Unsure if the virus has spread past England's borders but desperate to leave, Captain Hook hunts for a cure, which he thinks can be found in one of the survivors. This sounds like a really unique spin on Peter Pan (which seems to be quite popular lately)

John Claude Bemis – The wooden prince.
The automa Pinocchio has always been duty-bound to serve in the floating palace of Venice's emperor. So when Pinocchio finds himself locked in a trunk and delivered to a new master-a wanted criminal and alchemist named Geppetto-he is curious about everything around him. I don't think I have seen a Pinocchio retelling before and I love that Geppetto is a criminal.

Sarah J. Maas – A court of mist and fury.
Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court--but at a steep cost. MUST HAVE IT.

Marissa Meyer – Heartless.
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland — the infamous Queen of Hearts — she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.
1. It is Marissa Meyer. 2. Queen of Hearts is one of my favorite fairytale villains.

Do you have some (or perhaps all) of these books on your reading list?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

26 comments:

  1. Oooh, Heartless klinkt zo gaaf! Marissa Meyer is echt een van mijn favoriete schrijvers als het op sprookjes herschrijven aan komt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most looking forward to Heartless & Vassa in the night. :) I do want to read ACOMAF, but I'm worried about the love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read those first 4! Well, TRATD hasn't released yet, but it's one I definitely want to read either way! LOL! Can't wait for ACOMAF either!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Beast is a transgender retelling? I haven't heard of it before, but it sounds awesome! I really have to read that one - it's such an unusual plot, but I think it's one I'll really enjoy! I can't wait for ACOMAF either ;) I hope you enjoy these!

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omggg ANOTHER PETER PAN ONE. *flails* I'm loving how many Peter Pans are out recently! I have just bought Never Never and Unhooked and I'm about to order Nora & Kettle. <3 EXTREME PETER PAN LOVE. hehe. I hadn't heard of Everland though. *immediately dashes to goodreads*

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cannot wait for acomaf and heartless! they are both some of my most anticipated reads of 2016! and i've never read a peter pan retelling, so i'm definitely going to check out everland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited for The Rose and The Dagger! I'm also excited for Heartless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heartless and ACOMAF are some of the titles I'm looking forward to reading! Retellings are taking over lately! Have you read The Shadow Queen?

    My TTT!

    Kate @ The Bookaholic Blurbs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's such a great range of books here! I'm dying to get my hands on Everland because Peter Pan retelling are my favourite. Vassa and Heartless are definitely on my list too. And I love the diversity of Beast already. And a Pinocchio retelling? Colour me intrigued. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeep! ACOMAF, The Rose & The Dagger and Heartless!! :D I can NOT wait to read those either my friend^^ Soooo many good books coming out this year, it's impossible not to fangirl XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just started reading The Wrath and the Dawn, I am so excited for it since I've heard such good things about it. So I'm glad that the second book in the series will be out soon.

    Everyone is so excited for A Court of Mist and Fury, me included! I'm so glad it will be out soon :D

    Heartless sounds really interesting, and anything Melissa Meyer must be good!

    I love that there are so many good fairytale retellings coming out this year, they're just so fun to read.

    Jordon @ Simply Adrift

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great books, Mel! "A Court of Mist and Fury", "Everland", and "The Wooden Prince" are on my TBR list too! They look like great books I can't wait to get my hands on them!

    There are a few others on your list that I hope to read as well (particularly "The Great Hunt"!).

    Hope you get to read all these lovely titles and that you enjoy each of them immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really looking forward to The Forbidden Wish and The Great Hunt! I want a good Aladdin/jinni retelling :) And I definitely have Heartless and ACOMAF on my tbr, so excited for both! I read Out of Abaton and was pleasantly surprised! It's a strange book, very imaginative with really great characters but it moved fast at times. It's unique and worth a try I think!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beast sounds SO interesting--I immediately added it to my "want to read" collection, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The one that I am most excited about reading is definitely Beast! It has been on my TBR ever since I heard about it (before it has a cover), and I cannot wait to read it :D I hope its as good as I am hoping it is.

    I can't wait to read A Court of Mist and Fury. Even though I don't like love triangles, I'm keen to see where the relationship between Feyre and Tamlin and Rhysand goes in this book :D

    I'm glad that there is still a trend of retellings! I will never get sick of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I finished The Forbidden Wish and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I believe it is a standalone and there's a whole group of kick-ass fighter females! Plus I loved the spin on the Aladdin tale!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yaaay :D Stunning list Mel. <3 I hope you will end up loving all of these when you get to read them :) Hugs. I loved The Forbidden Wish so, so much. I think you will too :D Can't wait to see what you think of it. <3 And ah. Heartless. I need it. Forever away, though :( Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so confused by The Wooden Prince cover because I didn't see those words on the cover at all! Hahaha. But that one sounds incredibly interesting, so I will be checking it all. Same with Beast, which I haven't heard of until today!

    I'm equally excited for all the other books on your list! I'll probably be reading The Rose and the Dagger next year (just because I'm a procrastinator), and then I'll definitely be preordering Heartless! :)

    Awesome list Mel! I discovered some new books today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are sooooo many amazing books on this list and retellings is my favourite theme for books! I cannot wait for ACOMAF, The Rose and The Dagger and basically every single book you have on here! *holds this list really close* I have Reign of Shadows sitting on my shelf and I really must read it soon! Fab list you put together here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am SO excited for ACOMAF. I need that book so badly. I really enjoyed The Forbidden Wish, and I think you'd like it too! I love when retelling are loosely based or inspired by a retelling yet are still original and fresh in their own way, you know? I don't want a complete carbon copy of another book! I can't wait for The Rose and The Dagger, and I will do ANYTHING to get an ARC of that one... Vassa, The Great Hunt, and Heartless are ones I'm interested in too. Great picks! <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right now I am super desperate for A Court of Mist and Fury, as well as The Rose and The Dagger! Reign of Shadows has caught my interest too, I didn't realise it was a retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marissa Meyer has been going around my circles quite often. I'm getting the feeling that her books are super cool.
    What made you start going for the whole retelling thing this year?

    ReplyDelete
  23. YESSS ACOMAF is my most anticipated one out of all of these! Although TWATD wasn't my favourite (my review is going up on Friday), I am still looking forward to The Rose and Dagger. and I've heard great things about Forbidden Wish! Great round up, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE me a Rapunzel and Peter Pan retelling! Like, absolutely LOVE. And I'm really excited about the release of OCOMAF.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read The Forbidden Wish recently and really liked it. I can't wait for The Rose and The Dagger, because as you said, the ending for TWATD was too cruel!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sarah J. Maas – A court of mist and fury. *tiny little squeals*

    Okay, I am super curious about Vassa of the Night now! I am going to check it out and more than likely add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0