Saturday, April 30, 2016 16:40

Monthly recap April '16 | My birthday month.

Monthly-recap_thumb6This post recaps my month: my personal life, all the books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me.
OUAT_thumb3
A lot of good things happened this month, making it one of the best months I've had so far! It started with two shopping trips with my mother and sister, where we also had lunch. I bought some pretty clothes that I still can't wear, because the weather has been awful lately..

I had an overnight stay at a castle with my boyfriend! It was SO cool. It was so fancy and we had breakfast on bed. I felt like a princess for one night.

Castle

I had sushi with some collegues and it really starts to feel like I'm part of the group. I went to dinner with the six of us to a dim sum restaurant and heavens, that is delicious! First time I ate it and definitely not the last time. I also had fantastic hamburgers with fries at the beach with my parents and sister. (So many of my recaps include food, haha, I love food).


Birthday cakeCouch

We FINALLY got to pick up our couch, right on time for my birthday party/house-warming. We had a great time with our family and it was nice to finally show everyone the house. My sister made her best cake so far: Alice in Wonderland themed. Everyone really spoiled me, with a couple of books, money, a new cover for my e-reader, bookends, hair dryer, toaster and a beautiful Marauder poster. I still can't believe I turned 25 (I talked about it in my birthday post), but I'm really happy how far I've come.

Birthday presentbookclub readathon

I had a book club sleep-over where we attempted the Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon and we read around 13 hours. I finished a total of 3 books. With a lot of food (pizza!), great company (a cat!) and awesome books, I had a fantastic read-a-thon.

If you are interested in more pictures, check out my Instagram Mel_1704.

I also had a lot of 'us' time with my boyfriend this month. We played Just Dance and Mario Party, watched tons of movies, finally caught up on a few TV shows and we spend Kingsday together, strolling on a street fair. In the morning it looked like we had to miss it (it kept raining), but eventually the sun came through and we were able to keep our tradition. I added 6 dvd's for a total of 5 euro to my collection, so not a bad haul!



Read_thumb5
1. Sarah Strohmeyer – This is my brain on boys. 2.5/5.
2. V.E Schwab – A darker shade of magic (reread) 5+/5.
3. V.E Schwab – A gathering of shadows. 5+/5.
4. Elizabeth May – The falconer (reread) 5/5.
5. Elizabeth May – The vanishing throne. 5/5.
6. Cat Winters – The steep and thorny way. 4/5.
7. Sarah J. Maas – A court of thorns and roses (reread). 5/5.


Watched_thumb5
Movies.
1. I watched Inside out twice this month. Once by myself and once with the sleep-over. Love it.
2. Hitman 47. *yawn*
3. Sound of music. For the first time in my life. Yep. And it was adorable.
4 Les Miserables. For the second time.
5. Into the woods. See a theme here? I was really into musicals this month.
6. Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban. Still not my favorite movie.

TV shows.
7. White Collar, half way season 5.
8. GAME OF THRONES.
9. Vikings, season 4.
bookhaul_thumb2
Incoming

I decided to buy a few birthday presents for myself, so this happened. I had to get The raven king, for obvious reasons. I've heard mixed things about An ember in the ashes, but I got it for a bargain price and I love my leather bound edition from Grimm, so I couldn't pass the opportunity to add Hans Christian Andersen to my shelves. Daisy talked about The seven realms series, so I had to get the box set. It sounds like something I will love. Tuesdays at the castle was a present from Daisy <3.

I'm still loving bullet journaling, so I went ahead and bought an Emerald Green Leuchtturm1971 and I'm hooked! I can't wait to get started once my old notebook is filled. I also bought a lilac sketching book by the same brand, so I can work with the new set of Koi brush pens and watercolor set I splurged on. Good to be creative again. Is someone interested to see more of my bullet journal and possible art work?
dingamebobs_thumb2_thumb4 You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

Whozits. Billionair Sean Parker invested 250 million dollars to change the way we fight cancer. Quote from the article about the treatment:  "Unlike chemotherapy, which involves administering powerful drugs that kill both cancerous and healthy cells (most healthy cells can repair themselves), immunotherapies harness the power of the immune system to help it identify and knock out just the cancerous cells." Zika is officially the cause of birth defects, according to the CDC. "Now that Zika is officially understood to be a cause of microcephaly, researchers can now explore what other damage is being done."
Whatzits.
Cover reveal of the new illustrated book from Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets. Also cover releases from Stranger the dreamer by Laini Taylor, Carnaval by Stephanie Garber and Wintersong by S. Jae Jones.

Releases that interest me:
Maggie Stiefvater – The raven king.
Renee Ahdieh – The rose and the dagger.
Roshani Chokshi – The star-touched queen.
Jodi Meadows – The mirror king (and you definitely want to read this one!)
Amanda Sun – Heir to the sky.
Steve Toutonghi – Join.

How was your April?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

20 comments:

  1. Wow it looks like you had an awesome month! I love that you did Deweys as a sleepover, might have to organize that next year with my more bookish friends. Also, I'd love to hear about your bujo and artwork! And the Seven Realms series is one of my favourites so I hope you enjoy it! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks like you had an awesome month! I love that you did Deweys as a sleepover, might have to organize that next year with my more bookish friends. Also, I'd love to hear about your bujo and artwork! And the Seven Realms series is one of my favourites so I hope you enjoy it! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wauw, wat gaaf om een nacht in een kasteel te slapen! Dat lijkt me echt een geweldige ervaring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to beat staying in a castle!! Lucky girl. You had a great month for sure! Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staying in a castle, sounds wonderful! I really want to reread The Falconer before I read The Vanishing Throne :) You have read some amazing books this month!
    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg you stayed in a castle?!? THAT IS INSANELY AWESOME. And happy birthday again!! :D EEEEP. It sounds like you had a terrific month. :') Also The Seven Realm series is amazing and totally underrated. *hugs it* I have to finish off the last books but honestly I'm procrastinating because I don't want it to end. hehe. But then there's Flamecaster coming out soon. SO YAY FOR THAT.
    ALSO A MILLION YAYS FOR THE RAVEN KING. *shrieks*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun month! Staying in a castle sounds AWESOME! That's definitely on my bucket list. And happy belated birthday! You were really spoiled - I especially love that Marauder's Map poster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That castle sounds amazing! I just got the Raven King as well, so excited to start this book tonight. Also, I would love to see more of your bullet journaling and especially your artwork!!
    Ps that marauder poster is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dewey as a sleepover is an awesome idea. And that castle -- ooh, where is it? I would really love to stay there someday. I'm also loving the Marauder poster, the book haul, and the tulips. Oh, and your sister's amazing cake! I'm glad you had a good month, and I hope May goes just as well (but obviously without the birthday.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utrecht!
      https://www.kasteelsterkenburg.nl/

      Delete
  10. First of all: Happy Birthday with a little delay :)
    That cake looks so stunning and yummy! *.*

    Looks like you've been up to a lot of reading. That's fantastic! Also, great haul! :)

    Here's my April Wrap Up @ Swissbookworm

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW that is so cool that you stayed in a castle Mel, that would have been such an amazing experience! I love how your recaps always feature delicious food. That readathon sounds like it was so much fun especially with friends in real life! It definitely sounds like you had a really wonderful month Mel. I've got Vanishing Throne on hold at the library! I watched Inside Out too and loved it. Please share your art work and journal pages with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Mel I'm thrilled to see that you had such an amazing month in April! I love my food as much as you, so I know that I would have a hard time resisting all the gorgeous food and that cake looks delicious! I'm finally planning on reading A Darker Shade of Magic this month, so I really hope I end up enjoying it as much as you did. I hope you have a fantastic May! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must read the Rose and the dagger, this book is crazy awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY Mel, I love that you had such a fabulous month! Shopping, CASTLES,birthday parties, house warmings, FOOD!! Your new place looks gorgeous ♥ Congrats again :D Gorgeous collection of books in April too, I hope you enjoy the lot of them! Happy May my friend! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I wasn't a book blogger, I would definitely be a food blogger. Food is great, and dim sum and sushi especially so. :3 Ooh, and there are few things better than a truly great burger. Now I'm getting hungry... Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had an amazing time :D

    - Eli @ The Silver Words
    #commenting365

    ReplyDelete
  16. Castle sleepover!!!! Omg clearly a ton of really awesome things happened for you in April and yet I can't help but be hung up on the castle sleepover the most because GAH!! SO COOL!! And of course, super amazing birthday cake by your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAAAY :D I'm so happy April was the best month for you. <3 That is just awesome. And I love your couch :D So pretty. And yay for birthday cake :D Love that too, lol. And that castle sleepover seems aaawesome. Thrilled that you read so much great too :) Hope May is perfect for you as well Mel. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0