Monday, April 11, 2016 18:29

Retelling April '16 | Illustrations.

Sound_thumb1
Don't forget to tweet and Instagram with the hash-tag #fairytaleRC.

At the end of this post you can put links to your challenge page/post and every review you post on your blog. Please make this easy to navigate by putting it like this: 
UPDATE  @ your name/blog name. This is your master post, like your challenge page. 
REVIEW – book title @ your name/blog name.

I'm sorry I have kept you waiting for so long, but things went a bit out of my hands, so here is the link-up post for April. I realized I never asked about the bingo card, how did you guys do? And are you still on schedule or are you behind, because remember: this challenge is all about having fun and reading good books. No pressure!

This month I want to talk about one of my favorite things in fairytale books and that is illustrations! Nowadays we can find many drawings inspired by a huge variety of fairytales. Today I want to show you some of my favorite illustrations and I want to invite you to make a post/tweet/photo/video where you share your favorites.



Twelve dancing princesses.


East of the sun, West of the moon.

Ruth Sanderson. (Snow princess and polar bear)
cbe54c3eedf73da7f06b56c8d9e51003

Beauty and the beast.



a52cf8d3682ec2d787d94e3e5add6d51

Rebecca Guay
10d8d8f219ee3702a04e3ac8692543cd


And my absolute favorite artist I've come across so far, Mélanie Delon. You can find more of her artwork here: Pinterest.

Pocahontas.


What is your favorite illustration?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, these are gorgeous! I love the paintings by J.W. Waterhouse - he painted scenes from Arthurian legends and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh these are GORGEOUS. It makes me want to art!! (Despite the fact that I, um, really can't art. But I have good intentions and aspirations, right?!? XD) I love that second 12 Dancing Princess one! It looks so complex and I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS artwork Mel! Man I wish I could draw or paint or something! My favorite is The Princess and the Polar Bear because the princess reminds me of Sabriel and she's one of my favorite heroines ever ♥ All of these are stunning though, thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do adore illustrations!

    It's really too difficult to pick a favorite illustration - but one of my favorite fairy tales is "The Ballad of Tam Lin" and there are some lovely illustrations associate with this one.

    In this illustration Janet(or Margaret depending on the telling) has to hold on desperately to her love (Tam Lin) no matter what horrible shape he takes. If she lets go, he will be lost to her forever. If she holds on then the spell binding him to the fairy queen will be broken.

    Fairy procession in Tam Lin, right before the Heroine rescues him from his fate of being offered as a sacrifice to Hell.

    Now I'm in such a fanciful mood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really beautiful! I might do a similar post with Slovenian illustrators, we have some gorgeous illustrated editions of Grimms' fairy tales and such.
    I'm behind with my challenge but I think I'm going to do better in the next couple of months when some of the books I've been waiting for get published (*cough* Court of Mist and Fury *cough*).

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! I love the last East of the Sun, West of the Moon illustration.
    I'm ahead in my challenge. For some reason I usually read a lot early in the year. I blame this on the winter weather.
    Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a great rest of the week.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes! I LOVE illustrations in my fairytale books, because they're usually really whimsical and colorful and gorgeously laid out. I find them to be magical extensions of the stories themselves :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Pocahontas is awesome.

    And I love that you always include EotSWotM into your fairy tales! Everyone always overlooks it, but it is my favorite one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, such a lovely post Mel :D Hope you are doing good. <3 Hugs. Gosh, all of those images are so pretty. I loved looking at them all :) Sadly.. I have not been good at this challenge at all :( Sobs. So sorry about that. Hoping to read more later this year. <3 Hugs. Just. Reading slumps sucks. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually have a Pinterest Board full of art and illustration that I love, here's the link:

    https://uk.pinterest.com/katkatmeow1/art-illustration/

    It's mostly fantasy based but there is a lot of Fairy Tale stuff in there!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0