Let it go | A mix of different books.



261157401940134826236443
Sarah Strohmeyer – This is my brain on boys.
1.5/5. Contemporary.
eARC from Edelweiss/publisher.

It went from: OH this is really fun and I love Addie! Girls as scientists are my thing! She is such a smart cookie and I love her experiment. To: oh.. This is exactly not good. Addie was a little too serious for my taste. She was a bit like Sheldon in that way and it did not work on the paper for me. Like the scene where someone told her someone 'fell from the face of the earth' and she tells him without blinking that 'the earth does not have a face.'

No shit, Sherlock.

I also did not appreciate how Kris treated his (ex)-girlfriend Kara. He should have stepped it up and simply told her it was over. Instead, he keeps dragging it around and while I did not like the girl at all, I could understood her accusation.

The whole experiment was lots of fun. Addie has this theory that you an make two people who have nothing in common, fall in love when they are in an intense situation. Kris has to make up for something, so now he is part of the experiment (without knowing what is going on) and Addie decides to at some point to make herself a subject too. From the point of view of a scientist, this is something you should NEVER EVER do, because it influences the way you look at the experiment. Being objective is the most important part, so I did not buy this.

I liked Addie's spark with Kris, but things could have been more polished to make this work better for me.

Elizabeth May – The vanishing throne.
4.5/5. Paranormal.
 
I was blown away by The falconer the first time AND second time. May has written a series that ticks off all the elements I look for: a kick-ass heroin, action, fast-paced plot, amazing writing-style and swoonworthy romance. We learn more about Kieran in this book, someone who stayed quite mysterious in The falconer. Aileana is in a pretty messed-up situation and she is such a brave, strong girl. The ending was brutal, just like The falconer, and it makes me want to pick up the sequel right now. It was a brave move from the author, because it could have turned into the worst twist ever, but it worked really well with the story.

V.E Schwab – A gathering of shadows.
ALL THE STARS. 
Fantasy.
 
Schwab is a genius. I don't think I will ever dislike anything she writes, because she is a magician with words. I reread A darker shade of magic and I think I fell in love with it even more. The intriquite world-building, the spectacular characters and the well-crafted villians, I love everything about it. I have lost my heart to Lila, who is now sailing the seas, and Kell, who feels locked up. READ THIS SERIES. I could not find the right words to express my love for this series, so you just have to pick it up and see for yourself.

i-love-it-ashley-benson

12 comments

  1. I've heard awful things about that contemp, which is such a shame. I loved The Vanishing Throne too!! I was so glad I reread The Falconer, that series is amazing. The third book is going to be intense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I can't wait to see how it's going to wrap up!

      Delete
  2. I like this feature. I have wanted to read The Falconer for a while and I am really happy to hear that its sequel is a good book too. I've read reviews about the Falconer, but nothing about The Vanishing Throne and I'm glad you like it. It's so disappointing hen the first book is good and the sequel is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the very same way about Schwab AND the Shades of Magic books. So.Much.Love. I need to do a reread...maybe in time for the third book. Man that ending was cruel and I'm scared for what's in store now but I need to read it all the same XD I still need to read The Falconer though...I think I own the first book on e-book. Thanks for reminding me about it my friend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to check out The Falconer and The Vanishing Throne! This series sounds excellent, and I'm always on the lookout for a new fantasy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried for a second that you DNF'd A GATHERING OF SHADOWS. So glad to see that this wasn't the case - and that you gave it ALL THE STARS. I want to get around to finally reading this one soon!

    Super happy also that you loved THE FALCONER and THE VANISHING THRONE, as I don't see bloggers talk about this series much and I was curious as to what the general consensus was! It's also on my TBR pile :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow This Is My Brain on Boys sounds....fun. Addie does very much sound like Sheldon. As much as I don't mind Sheldon, I don't think I would enjoy her as a character.

    YES TO AGOS AND THE VANISHING THRONE. When will book 3 come out for the latter anyways? Never? 3 years from now? Sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up ADSOM this month and absolutely loved it! I'm glad AGOS was just as good. I'm glad Thr vanishing throne was fantastic, I got it out from the library and I'm looking forward to reading it. Great reviews Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up ADSOM this month and absolutely loved it! I'm glad AGOS was just as good. I'm glad Thr vanishing throne was fantastic, I got it out from the library and I'm looking forward to reading it. Great reviews Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay :D Lovely reviews Mel. <3 So glad you loved A Gathering of Shadows so much :D Yess! I haven't read it yet :( And thinking that maybe I should wait to re-read book one and read this one until the third is out, lol. And ahh, The Vanishing Throne :D It was a four star for me, but I also loved it :D So glad you loved it lots. <3 That ending was meeeean. Hmph. And ugh. I'm sorry that first book was so awful :\ Not for me either. Sigh. Seems pretty bad. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you liked The Vanishing Throne. OMG I totally agree about that brutal ending, though. I can't believe we have to wait so long until we can see what happens *sobbing* KIARAN.

    I can't believe that I still haven't read ADSOM. I own it. And AGOS. I am so behind on the wonderful books! What even. At least I am pretty sure I am going to love them when I get around to them, though! I loved Vicious and This Savage Song :D

    It's a shame that the contemporary didn't work out for you, though! D:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.