Saturday, July 23, 2016 19:13

Review 261. Brittany Cavallaro – A Study in Charlotte.

23272028Title: A study in Charlotte.
Author:  Brittany Cavallaro.
Pages:  321.
Published: March 1st 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books
Sort: First book in Charlotte Holmes.
Source: Edelweiss and publisher, thanks!

Goodreads

The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar. From the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear their names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other.
It was quite obvious in the beginning that I would not get along with this book. It's definitely a case of "it's me, not you" because this book has a lot to offer. For some reason though, I did not connect with the story, the characters or the writing.

Jamie Watson got a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, where Charlotte Holmes goes to school as well. The two of them meet and he is immediately impressed by her; Charlotte less. She likes to be by herself in her laboratory, but Jamie feels an attraction to her and the two of have to work together when they are being set up. A student dies under strange circumstances and they are both seen as suspects – and only Charlotte's intelligence can clear their names.

I liked the fact that Holmes is a girl now. She is smart, impulsive and confident, three trades I normally really like in a character. With Charlotte it was the opposite; I disliked her, could not connect with her and most of all, I had a hard time accepting her drugs abuse. She got on my nerves more often than I wished and even her hard times did not make me like her more.. The way she looks at life and treats certain situations just did not work for me.

I had the same with Jamie. He felt blank to me and I never had the feeling I was connected to him. There was no sparkle for me and the two lacked the chemistry I see in the TV show and movies. I guess it is because they only work together, because someone is trying to frame Charlotte and Jamie is pulled under as well. 

The way they put the clues together was kind of fun, but the overall mystery was not that exciting to me and the lack of emotions made this a failure for me.


author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, reading this makes me sad because the plot itself sounded interesting. I'll read it just to have my own opinion but I am definitely a reader who needs to have that connection with the characters and if they're just blunt and not even coming close to my heart, I'm done with reading you know? So I'll see what happens!
    Some characters may be intended to appear different and less likeable to have them be more realistic but they have to be portrayed in a certain way that it does awaken mixed feelings in the reader, not in a way that makes them utterly annoying and not relatable at all. I mean what kind of heroine would that be?
    Thanks for this review! Very honest and insightful as always.

    Hugs, Hannie from Missing Wanderer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems to be the general consensus about this book (at least, from what I've seen), and it's been stopping me from picking this one up. It sounds like a great concept, but all of that becomes irrelevant when characters are hard to connect with or understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame, I really did enjoy this book a lot, and am looking forward to the next in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww :( I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I love Sherlock Holmes, and I enjoyed this retelling. I do agree that there were moments where Charlotte was infuriating, but I enjoyed the interactions between her and Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww well this is unfortunate! It's a shame things didn't click with you at all! I adore Sherlock Holmes and so far, I've had luck with retellings so I'm still willing to give this a shot - we'll have to compare notes once I do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah lots more people had an issue with the drug use in this book unfortunately, and it definitely sounds uninspired. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading a different Sherlock Holmes retelling that I was thoroughly unimpressed by, I decided that I would only ever pick up another one if it gave me the Johnlock I actually want - without the stupid gender bending - AN M/M SHIP.

    So I'm kind of glad I did decide that because this one doesn't sound like a book I would have ended up loving, anyway.

    If you ARE looking for a good Sherlock Holmes retelling (it does have a gender bend, though), the Every series by Ellie Marney is super awesome!

    Great review, Mel. I hope you like your next book more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack, so sorry you didn't like this book all that much sweetie :\ Thank you for sharing your awesome thoughts about it, though :D I like that cover a lot. But not interested in the book at all, haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0