Monday, December 12, 2016 12:05

Review 272 | The Female of Species - Mindy McGinnis.

25812109Title: The Female of Species.
Author:  Mindy McGinnis.
Pages:  352.
Published: September 20th 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books.
Source: Edelweiss and publisher, thanks!
Alex Craft knows how to kill someone. And she doesn’t feel bad about it. When her older sister, Anna, was murdered three years ago and the killer walked free, Alex uncaged the language she knows best. The language of violence. While her crime goes unpunished, Alex knows she can’t be trusted among other people, even in her small hometown. She relegates herself to the shadows, a girl who goes unseen in plain sight, unremarkable in the high school hallways. But Jack Fisher sees her. He’s the guy all other guys want to be: the star athlete gunning for valedictorian with the prom queen on his arm. Guilt over the role he played the night Anna’s body was discovered hasn’t let him forget Alex over the years, and now her green eyes amid a constellation of freckles have his attention. He doesn’t want to only see Alex Craft; he wants to know her. So does Peekay, the preacher’s kid, a girl whose identity is entangled with her dad’s job, though that does not stop her from knowing the taste of beer or missing the touch of her ex-boyfriend. When Peekay and Alex start working together at the animal shelter, a friendship forms and Alex’s protective nature extends to more than just the dogs and cats they care for. Circumstances bring Alex, Jack, and Peekay together as their senior year unfolds. While partying one night, Alex’s darker nature breaks out, setting the teens on a collision course that will change their lives forever.

Rating:

I really, really, really, really wanted to love this book, because I count Mindy McGinnis as one of my favorite authors. She gained a spot on my auto-buy list, but I struggled with this book and didn't end up loving it.

Alex Craft is a killer. The murderer of her sister Anna walked free and Alex took matters into her own hands. She is now dealing with her violent thoughts and she makes sure she is in the shadow. She tries to stay unremarkable, until she is noticed by Jack Fisher. He is the popular guy of the school; the one every guy looks up to. He carries a guilt with him about what happened the night they searched for Anna - and now he is starting to fall for Alex.

Another person who sees Alex is Peekay, the preacher's kid who doesn't seem to fit in. She struggles with her identity; she is supposed to be this saint-like girl because of her father, but she wants to break free and be herself.

This book is violent, filled with swear words and there is sexual content. It is definitely a thought-provoking story and the fantastic writing-style had me hooked enough to finish it. But, the overall feeling this book gave me was disappointment. I could not connect with it and I did not feel any emotions when it came to the characters. I've read several other reviews and it feels like I missed out on something, but the delivery of the story was simply not for me. So, don't take my word for it and also check out these two fabulous reviews: Wendy Darling and Karen.


“But boys will be boys, our favorite phrase that excuses so many things, while the only thing we have for the opposite gender is women, said with disdain and punctuated with an eye roll.”
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

7 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of this book before, though I am familiar with Mindy McGinnis. I'm sorry that you just didn't connect with the characters Mel - the premise sounds really unique and I do like that it kept your interest throughout but as a huge character reader, I think I'd have a similiar experience with this. I loved reading your thoughts though! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mainly positive things about this book, so I'm almost even more intrigued by it after reading your review. Sorry to hear that it wasn't something you were able to connect with! I think I really might have to pick this up now to see how I will end up feeling about it. I really enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww :( I love this book, but can TOTALLY see how this book would not connect with everyone. It's definitely a TOUGH, HARD book. No soft edges, no going easy. Very dark. I need to read the rest of Mindy McGinnis's books now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't love this, since I remember reading your reviews of Mindy's other books and how much you loved them. I suppose it's a very different kind of book from her others. I'm thinking I'll either love it or hate it, honestly, so I'm curious to see. :) Wonderful review, though, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is such an interesting story...I'm sorry you didn't like it very much! It's always nice to hear both sides of reviews of a book, so thanks for that!
    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard about this novel but it does sound interesting.. sorry to hear you weren't able to enjoy it though - thanks for sharing your review :)


    Benish @ Beenazai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous review Mel. <3 Aw, I'm so sorry you were so disappointed by this book :( I don't think I would like it at all either, so didn't get it. But aw, it sucks when you want to love a book, and then don't :\ Thank you for sharing your awesome thoughts about this book, though :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0