Friday, April 07, 2017 12:19

The Beauty and the Beast.

30166719MinaLima, the award-winning design studio behind the graphics for the Harry Potter film franchise and the creators of the illustrated Jungle Book and Peter Pan, reimagine the beloved French fairy tale The Beauty and the Beast in this deluxe unabridged edition illustrated with stunning full-color artwork and nine 3-D interactive features. 

Generations of readers have been bewitched by the epic love story of a beautiful young girl imprisoned in the magical castle of a monstrous beast.

Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, MinaLima (Illustrator), James Robinson Planché (Translator). Published January 31st 2017 by Harper Design (first published 1740)


The moment I laid eyes on this book, I knew I had to get it and I was not disappointed by it. My love for Beauty and the Beast knows no limits, but this book reminded me of the fact I never read the original tale *gasp*

It was interesting to see the story Disney worked with and I must admit that I am happy with the changes they have made. They turned every character into a more likable figure, but what I did love in this book is the background story of the Beast. It felt like I was reading another story inside a story, which is something I missed in the animated movie. It made him a more solid character. We all have to admit that the time line around Beast's life in the Disney movie is a bit flawed and that is no problem in this book.

I really missed the talking objects though. There is no Lumière, Mrs. Potts or Cogsworth. Instead there are different themed room, like one with Monkeys who become friends with Belle. My image of Beauty and the Beast is so wrapped around Disney that I couldn't stop missing my beloved extra characters.

The best thing about this version is the beautiful leather-bound cover, the illustrations and the interactive features. Those 3d features weren't extremey special, but still added something fun to the story. The illustrations were to die for, especially those at the beginning of every chapter. I spend a lot of time looking at them, soaking in all the details, and it really made the story come alive.

Highly recommend this book if you are a fairytale lover like me.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

5 comments:

  1. I saw this in Chapters and almost bought a copy - it just looked so beautiful! I'm glad to hear there's more to it than just being pretty though. Now you've seriously got me thinking about going back to consider picking it up again! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it and got it in the mail some days ago. Can't wait to read it soon 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh! This is interesting! I especially like the way you compare the original tale to the familia Disney story! The background story of The Beast is especially intriguing to me - I really want to read this now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to buy a copy of this gorgeous edition!
    I also recommend reading Madame Leprince de Beaumont's version of the Beauty and the Beast tale, which is much closer to the Disney adaptation. The Cocteau and Gans French film adaptations are also amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely review Mel :D I'm glad you liked this one; but sorry it wasn't perfect. <3 But yay for Beast backstory :) That's awesome. And it looks so gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0