Recap June '17 | More new books.

OUAT_thumb3Bookclub! I was the only one who finished the book, but most of our conversations are about other things anyway, haha. Daph gave me a birthday present that took ages to arrive and it is this gorgeous Grimm's Fairytales picture book. It looks great in my growing Fairytale book collection. I haven't shot a photo of it yet, but it will follow!

Travel agency. We are busy with the planning of our vacation (we really need to start booking something..), so we went to an agency for travels with the train to get some information. Looks like we might visit Venice after all! I'm so excited and hope to share our booked plans soon.

Shopping. Because what else would you do when you get your vacation money from work? Haha. I'm building a new wardrobe, so every month I buy some new pieces and this time I discovered a new favorite store.

Family. My mom and dad celebrated their birthday together and it was fun to hang out with everyone. My father got a special tablet for photo editing and we treated our mom by going to La Cubanita. On one of the hottest days, Father's day, we went to the park and I had a barbecue over at my grandparent's house.

Music festival. There's always a free music festival, with different stages and lesser-known bands. Unfortunately, it started to rain really hard that day, so we only went there for an hour. We visited our friends and even took a walk in the woods after we had some delicious ice cream (Tony Chocolonely flavour!)

Team building. This year we went with Insights, which is a personality test that shows your percentage for certain colors – and those are assigned to certain personality traits. The test also makes some sort of story about you, with different subjects like 'strong and weak points' and 'the way you interact with others'. Some things were spot on, but I also noticed a few wrong elements that made me sound really harsh and cold. We had some team building elements, followed by a barbecue, so I had a great time.

Harry Potter. Twenty years of Potter magic! Seventeen years ago I discovered this fandom and it has never let me go. I can't believe it and it makes my heart so happy to see Harry Potter is still alive, especially now with the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

HP magic



bookhaul_thumb2I might have gone crazy, just a little. Sometimes I have this mighty need to buy some books and I just go with it. Oops?

The first thing I got was the beautiful The Arabian Nights leather-bound edition, which I added to my floating shelf. I received my pre-orders from V.E Schwab – Our Dark Duet, Elizabeth May – The Fallen Kingdom and Danielle L. Jensen – The Broken Ones. I got the box set from George R.R Martin – Song of Ice and Fire and all the editions from the Harry Potter house editions, designed for their 20th birthday. I am a Ravenclaw, but when I found out that there are special pages in each book.. I had to get them.

Arabian nightsBroken ones, GOT box set

Dark Duet, Fallen KingdomHP editions

Fairyloot box for June, which was all about Elementists. Great items!
 
1. A Stormheart Candle from Witchwood Remedies.
2. Bending Lipbalms from Geeky Clean, based on Avatar.
3. Hamsa Hand Bracelet from In The Moment.
4. Clairvoyance Soap from Ascent Bath and Body.
5. Potion Sticky Notes from Fairyloot itself.
6. Portable Magic Pillowcase by Miss Phi.
7. Bonus items; The Waking Land sampler and Frostblood Postcards.
8. The book: Roar by Corma Carmack, with signed book sticker, interview & hand-written letter.

I was contacted by Meg Bruce from JKS Communications – Literary Publicity about a promotional package from the author D.E Night. Look at the cute potion bottle (and how this fits with the theme from Fairyloot) which is filled with lights! The Crowns of Croswald is a Middle Grade story about Ivy, who is threatened by the Dark Queen after her powers awaken. It has some Harry Potter vibes.

Fairyloot Junepackage

Read_thumb5 I've found out that I do really well in the first week, but then I get distracted by all my other hobbies. So, again, only 6 books this month and most of them were disappointing..

1. Sarah J. Maas – A Court of Wings and Ruin. 3.5/5. More action, less sex and purring.
2. Jennifer Donnolly – Lost in a Book. 2.5/5. Not Belle-like enough for me.
3. Patrick Ness – Release. 2/5. The two stories didn't come together for me.
4. Lana Popovic – Wicked like Wildfire. 1/5. Disliked the writing and characters.
5. Adam Silvera – They Both Die at the End. 3.5/5. Emotional, but needed more world-building.
6. Mindy McGinnis – This Darkness Mine. 4.5/5. LOVED it. So twisted and messed-up.

Watched_thumb5
TV Shows: 
We watched a few episodes of The Blacklist and finished the third season from Better Call Saul. What a way to end the season! 
 
Movies:  
Angry Birds. I wasn't planning to watch it, but we got to borrow the dvd from some friends who liked it and I have to say, it was really funny!
The Magnificent Seven, which was.. a little underwhelming at times, but still heart-breaking at the end.  

New music:
I've been playing the new songs from Mighty Oaks non-stop, especially The Great Unknown, and I have fallen in love with the tunes from James Blunt/Robin Shulz - OK. Also found Oh Wonder - Ultralife acoustic and the always perfect Mumford and Sons - I'm on Fire cover. Last, but not least, The Lumineers - Nobody Knows from Pete's Dragon, together with Something Wild, love the violin, and a sneak peek at one of the new songs from First Aid Kit - Fireworks.

  What did you do in June?

5 comments

  1. Love your wrap up! Too bad your book club members didn't finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG there's special pages in each different HP edition?? Ugh, my poor wallet.xD I just ordered the Ravenclaw, but I suppose I'm going to have to add them all eventually. Thanks for linking to the Mumford cover, I hadn't heard that one yet and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely recap Mel :D I'm glad you had such an amazing month. <3 Eee. You did so many awesome things :D I hope your summer is the best. <3 And aw, I'm sorry you haven't been reading all that awesome books lately :\ Ugh. Hope what you are reading now are the best :) And lol, glad you ended up enjoying Angry Birds :D I loved it ;) Happy July sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always busy... lol... Happy birthdays to your parents.
    Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg Tony Chocolonely ice cream??!! I didn't know that was a thing but now I need it haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.