Review 17. Carolyn Turgeon - Mermaid.

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic TaleTitle: Mermaid: a twist on the classic story.
Author: Carolyn Turgeon.
Pages: 240.
Published: March 1st 2011.
Publisher: Crown Publishing Group.                     
ISBN: 0307589978 (ISBN13: 9780307589972)
Serie: stand alone.
Princess Margrethe has been hidden away while her kingdom is at war. One gloomy, windswept morning, as she stands in a convent garden overlooking the icy sea, she witnesses a miracle: a glittering mermaid emerging from the waves, a nearly drowned man in her arms. By the time Margrethe reaches the shore, the mermaid has disappeared into the sea. As Margrethe nurses the handsome stranger back to health, she learns that not only is he a prince, he is also the son of her father's greatest rival. Sure that the mermaid brought this man to her for a reason, Margrethe devises a plan to bring peace to her kingdom. Meanwhile, the mermaid princess Lenia longs to return to the human man she carried to safety. She is willing to trade her home, her voice, and even her health for legs and the chance to win his heart...
Rating: 

I was hooked to her writing-style. I really liked it.

The story tells about two girls. One is Lenia, a mermaid princess. The other is Margarethe, a human princess. Lenia always felt a desire to be human. To have a soul. She's totally obsessed with it and she loves the stories her grandmother tells her about the 'upper world.' When she turns 18, she is allowed to take a peek. She gets caught up in a storm and she notices a ship. The men are dying, but she saves one of them. A boy she immediately falls in love with (bit unrealistic, but very romantic at the same time.) She swam with him to shore and there she meets Margarethe. Margareth is at a nunnery, because her land is in some kind of war with another land. She takes the man into the nunnery.

From there one the story develops itself in a brilliant way. A lot of things happen, but I'm not going to spoil it for you. Just find out yourself.


Lenia wants to be human that she sacrifices a lot. She must marry the prince, then she'll get a soul. If he marries someone else, she'll became foam like all the other mermaids when they die. (And she sacrifices her voice, her family and every time she'll walk, her feet will feel like they're pierced by knives).

I felt really sad during the end. I know how the real story ended and I was afraid that this story would end that way too. It's slightly different, but still só sad. Like I always say, happy endings are really my thing, but somehow.. The sad ending completed the story.


10 comments

  1. I came across this book a while ago. I've heard that it's good and it's fairly faithful to the original fairy tale. But in being faithful to the original, it also means that you know you're letting yourself in for a sad ending. I'd have to be in the right mood to read this book.

    (In response to the comment you left on my blog, I'm actually living in the Netherlands too! Although it only takes about 40 mins for me to get to Amsterdam so I have fairly easy access to English-language books. I'm consider myself lucky in that respect!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. I read this book when I felt like I could handle a sad ending :p

      (Haha, funny! The only way for me to get English books is by ordering them from bol.com. There's really no store where I can buy the books I want.)

      Delete
    2. Try www.bookdepository.co.uk - it's cheaper than Bol with free postage but it takes up to two weeks to deliver your books. Unfortunately you need a credit card for it as it doesn't accept Dutch debit cards. :(

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I know! My boyfriends has paypal now so I'm going to use his account to order some books :D

      Delete
  2. I've never even heard of this before but it sounds like a really worth-while read. I've yet to find a mermaid book that really blows me away, so maybe this will be the one. Great review Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see if this is the book for you! Thanks :D

      Delete
  3. Hi. Thanks for commenting on my blog. your blog is great and i'm a new follower :) This book sounds very interesting. great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of excited about all the mermaid books coming out! The ones I've read so far have been hit or miss, but I'm intrigued by mermaids in general and want to read as many as possible. I had no idea this book was even out, so it's going on the mermaid must-read list! Thanks for the review Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.