Review 30. Lisa Cach – Wake unto me.

Wake Unto MeTitle: Wake unto me.
Author: Lisa Cach.
Pages: 304.
Published: March 31st 2011.
Publisher: Speak.
Sort: Stand alone.
A haunted castle, a handsome young man dead for four hundred years, one heck of a scary portrait of a witch, and a treasure hunt -- not to mention a princess for a roommate! -- all await 15 year old American girl Caitlyn Monahan when she earns a scholarship to a French boarding school. There are secrets behind the stone walls of Chateau de la Fortune, buried for centuries along with the mystery of who killed Raphael, the charming ghost who visits Caitlyn at night. But as Caitlyn unearths the history of the castle, nothing scares her as badly as the secret she learns about herself, and the reason she was chosen to come to the Fortune School. And nothing breaks her heart as badly as falling in love with a dead guy.

          Rating: 

“Foolishly romantic, yeah, sure, maybe: but she’d rather have dreams of Prince Charming than the reality of Mr. Wrong.”

And that’s exactly what Caitlyn Monahan, a fifteen year old girl, does.

She feels stuck in her own life. Her mother died when she was only four and she has the feeling that her dad and step mom don’t understand her. Her mother left her a tarot card: the wheel of Fortune. So when she earns a scholarship to a French boarding school called ‘Chateau de la Fortune’ it feels like fate. But there’s more behind it than she could ever imagine.

Caitlyn always had these nightmares with ghostlike people in it: The Screechers. Her dreams are becoming even stranger when she arrives at Chateau de la Fortune and that’s how she meets Raphael. He is the only one who can see her and she must help him to find ‘the heart.’ When she has so many nightmares, she decides to stay awake and study in the library. That’s how she meets another girl, Naomi, who quickly becomes one of her best friends. When Caitlyn finally tells Naomi and Amalia about her dreams, they want to help her. That’s when the real ghost story starts, but it’s not a freaky, scary one. It’s about losing and finding love. It’s about the discovery that ghosts can be humans after all.

Lisa Cach did a good job in writing this story about De Medici, Templars and witches. Caitlyn is fifteen years and you will notice that sometimes, but overall; she was nice. I especially liked Naomi. She could be a little snappy and that was a great touch.

The love story between Caitlyn and Raphael.. don’t get me wrong: I think that everybody is capable of falling in love no matter how old you are, but they were only fifteen and nineteen years old. It’s not that there was burning passion or deep feelings, so I didn’t really felt the connection. I liked the ending and the writing style was pleasant, but I expected more from this one. It would have been better if Caitlyn was a bit older.

7 comments

  1. I love ghost stories! I rather scary ones but I enjoy the ones with meaning as well I hadn't heard of this one before. I love the cover too it's great! Great review, Mel! I feel the same way about teenage romance than you did in this one. Often they're willing to do anything - even die - for their "true love" I,m like.. dude you're 16!! haha. But wtv, I roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, it is a great layout! (altough I did like your previous one as well). Also love the reviews, I will keep following you.
    Greets, Maaike/Magraat

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Giselle: Haha, precisely.
    @Maaiksfantasy: the other one was cute too, but I wanted something else. I got bored with it. And thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I absolutely ADORE your new layout, Mel! I'm a newbie at HTML stuff too, but yours still looks so much more amazingly cute! :)

    Secondly, I'm sorry that this book fell flat for you! The whole idea of witches and the writing sounds good, but I tend to be really picky about romances too, and sometimes it's hard to believe in such fierce love as a teenager. Or maybe that's just me still wishing for my own teen HEA haha x)

    Thanks for the awesome honest review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mimi, I certainly believe that there can be love between teenages. My parents were only 15 and 17 when they met and they are still happily married :) But I don't think the whole 'I'm never going to leave you, you're my soulmate and I can't live without you' thing is realistic when they only meet a couple of weeks ago. Glad that you like the layout! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your design, so beautiful:) Never heard about the book, but it looks good:) I'm gonna check it out sometime:) Thanks for commenting on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.