Review 74. Maureen Johnson – The name of the star.

The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)Title: The name of the star.
Author: Maureen Johnson.
Pages: 372.
Published: September 29th 2011.
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile.
Sort: Part one of ‘Shades of London.’
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago. Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.
Rating

“Keep calm and carry on. Also, stay in and hide because the Ripper is coming.”

Summary.
Aurora – although she uses the name Rory – lives in America. Her parents are going to work in Bristol, so she will start a new year in London at a boarding school. London is shocked by the bizarre murders lately; they are similar to the murders made by Jack The Ripper.

When Rory spots a man at the crime scene, she becomes a valuable eye-witness. The only strange thing is: Jazza was there and she never saw the man. That’s how Rory’s strange new ability is discovered by a special force and soon, she is tangled up in the Rippermania. She is in grave danger, because the new Jack has made her his next and last target. Why is he so interested in her? Why did he start killing in the first place? And how can you stop someone who seems untouchable?

Opinion.
It’s quite hard to give you a good summary, because I don’t want to give you any spoilers. This is the best I could do without giving too much away. It’s up to you if you want to find out who this mysterious new Jack is. 

Rory is a nice girl, but not really remember able. She was a bit plain, nothing special. She is brave, though and I liked her, but I think I will forget about her soon. One thing I like about this book is that the romance doesn’t play a big role. It’s there and it’s cute, but Jack is the most important thing.

The ending was well done. The story ends, but it gives enough room for the next book. There was a nice build up towards the end and it did deliver. The writing style was pleasant, but sometimes, I wished that the story went a bit faster. You know, it felt like I could skip some pages without missing a thing.

I’m definitely going to read the next book, because I liked it. I just didn’t love it.

18 comments

  1. I'm glad you liked it Mel, even if it didn't blow you away. I haven't read this yet, but it does sound interesting! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds interesting! It does sound like one of those books you read and forget about soon.. but it's fun enough to wanna finish the series? I don't really like the cover!

    - Emma @Boekenzee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only thing I liked about this book is her name, Aurora, and her love interest. I listened to the audiobook and Jazza annoyed me so much.

    glad you liked it!!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Emma, the ending was surprising enough to make me wanna read the next book :)
    @Maji, Aurora is a pretty name indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one. The storyline sounds so intriguing I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book on my list because I thought that the idea of a whole police force dedicated to ghosts was so interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I got this book ages ago for a really cheap price but still haven't got round to it. It sucks that Rory isn't that memorable and I'm surprised to hear romance isn't heavy in this book. It sounds like such a great mystery but I really hate slow-paced books.

    Thanks for the honest review, Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not gotten reading this book yet. Love your book REVIEW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review! I have this in my TBR pile as well. It sounded really interesting with the Jack the Ripper twist! Hope to get to it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to read this for awhile, but something has been stopping me back for some reason. You've made it clear though that I am definitely missing out in terms of the story. I think the fact that the characters aren't memorable will be a huge downfall for me, but I still want to give this one a try. Wonderful review!(:

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well this definitely sounds like a pleasant enough read but it's a shame you couldn't connect to it more. Maybe the next book will hold your interest more! :) Still, it sounds like an enjoyable book... I'll definitely still keep it on my list! Thanks for the review, Mel <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you liked this, even if you didn't love it! :) I did love it. I loved Rory (thought her character was fantastically written!), and Jazza is one of my favorite characters in a book ever. I also loved that the book wasn't about the romance. Liked that there was some in it, but that it was in the background to the real story. Can't wait for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay I'm glad you liked this one! I though it was a very unique Jack the ripper story and I'm super curious to find out what happens. The whole ghost aspect was really neat! Great review, love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to read this one. Jack the Ripper has always been someone that I have found fascinating and in his time period just makes it better. I hadn't heard of this one before, but I will definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with everything you said on your review, Mel! I remember reading this book last year and enjoyed it although like you, I didn't love it. The case of Jack the Ripper in this book is really interesting although I was a bit disappointed with the romance. Nevertheless, I can't wait for the sequel!

    Anyway, awesome review, Mel! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked one of Maureen Johnson's other books-- Suite Scarlett--, even though I usually don't read chic lit. But I've kinda gotten the same vibe from this book, good but not amazingly great. Thanks for the review, and I'm glad you basically enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kyaaaa, it's the Jack the Ripper story!!! This one's been silently nagging me, very glad to hear that it was overall a decent read! I do know what you mean when a main character is great but just not...enough to stick for long :/ Rory still sounds like a lovely girl, though! ^_^ I think it'd be easier to connect with a more normal girl who becomes a victim, though. The ending sounds promising!! I'm definitely going to hunt down a copy during Winter break! Thanks for not giving away any spoilers, and lovely review, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @A buckeye girl, you might give it a try :)
    @Kate, that was definitely an interesting twist.
    @Beverly, hmmm, I'm not sure if you are going to like it then, but you can give it a shot!
    @Elin, thanks! :D
    @Jessica@read, I hope you get the chance to read it soon. I'm looking forward to see your review.
    @Keertana, happy reading then!
    @The story queen, thanks for stopping by!
    @Kristen, I'm glad you loved it :D
    @Giselle, I also can't wait to see how this continues!
    @Jenni, Jack the Ripper is fascinating (and scary) indeed!
    @Celine, the same for me! Thanks :D
    @Kat, thanks for stopping by.
    @Viv, she is lovely, that's true. I hope you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.