Review 180. Adam Gidwitz – In a glass Grimmly.

13588400Title: In a glass Grimmly.
Author: Adam Gidwitz.
Pages: 336.
Published: September 27th 2012
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Sort: Stand alone, but part in the ‘A tale dark and Grimm’ series.
Part: A tale dark and Grimm.

Take caution ahead--
Oversize plant life, eerie amphibious royalty, and fear-inducing creatures abound.
Lest you enter with dread.
Follow Jack and Jill as they enter startling new landscapes that may (or may not) be scary, bloody, terrifying, and altogether true.
Step lively, dear reader . . .
Happily ever after isn't cutting it anymore.

                                                                             Rating

I really liked A tale dark and Grimm (although the rating is a bit too high now, but I don’t like to edit old ratings. I’d probably give it a 3.5 stars too) and I was looking forward to this book. I was not disappointed! Gidwitz has a great way in creating a story made out of several fairytales. Everything blends together and forms this fun and creative book. I also like the wisdom when the MC’s start to realize something important about themselves. It’s good when a book has an underlying moral.

Summary.
Jack and Jill are the main characters in this book. Jill is the daughter of a mean and appearance obsessed Queen. One day, Jill is laughed at by her people when she walks naked in public and she runs away to her nephew Jack. On her way, she befriends the talking frog.

Jack is a dreamer. He is bullied by the popular boys in the village and he longs to be one of them. His father wants to make a man out of him and sends him with their cow to the market. Instead of selling her for money, Jack returns with a magic bean. His father is furious and that leads Jack and Jill to make a stupid decision. When an old woman asks them to find a seeing glass, they accept the deal. If they can’t find it, they will die. If they return it, they are granted their wish. Jack will be loved by everyone and Jill will be the most beautiful girl in the world.

Together, they go on an adventure which will bring them high in the sky with giants and down below the earth with goblins and a huge salamander. There are many dangerous times, but Jack and Jill are learning one important thing in life.

Naamloos
Review.
This book tackles one of my favorite things when it comes to retellings: originality. The use of the different fairytales was so much. It’s great when you can search for the true stories. What I also like is the fact that he integrates fairytales from different authors. Not only the Brothers Grimm, but authors like Hans Christian Andersen and the nursery rhymes from Mother Goose. The Brothers Grimm are the popular and we sometimes forget that there are more great fairytale authors.

Jack and Jill are great and easy to connect with. They are insecure and a bit lonely, I think we all know how that feels. It wasn’t hard to understand their choice to help the old woman. Their journey is exciting. There is a lot of action. I really like the friendship between Jack, Jill and the frog and how they find a way to get out of dangerous situations.

One thing to ‘warn’ you: this is not a sequel. A tale dark and Grimm and this one are only connected because of the use of fairytales, but they can be read as stand-alones. I never expected this to be a sequel, but you could be disappointed if you did. Keeps in mind that this book is also a mixture between YA and MG, it’s hard to pinpoint the exact genre.

23 comments

  1. Oh good thing you say its not a sequel! I really thought it was going to be. I only just recently picked up the first book. That's a good thing to know since The Grimm Conclusion is coming out soon. I mean it makes it sound like it is a trilogy from the titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why they make it sound like a trilogy either.. Perhaps because they hope it sells better?

      Delete
  2. Originality is pratically a must in fairytale retellings, otherwise I'll fall asleep or just get sick of it immediately.

    Fantastic review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Why bother with re-writing it if you don't add something original to it?

      Delete
  3. The cover is awesome. I'm going to have to add this one to my TBR list. I love retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read, and enjoyed, A Tale Dark and Grimm, but I just haven't had the urge to read this one. Although they are sooo popular at my library. And yes, they are not sequels. More like companion novels, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wish they'd say that on the cover as some kind of 'warning'

      Delete
  5. Great review sweetie :) Glad you enjoyed this book, even though you didn't fully love i. I adore the cover. This it sounds like a pretty good book :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh.. it's interesting that they integrated fairytales from more than one author!! Also, it's great that it kept it's originality despite it being a re-telling!! glad you enjoyed it! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't encountered that before, so I was surprised when I saw stories from different authors. Very nice touch.

      Delete
  7. I love retellings although I haven't read too many yet but I should really consider reading this one. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series looks so cute...but I am not sure if it's for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any books by this author but, like you, I have always loved retellings. Originality is a must have and I almost always love a book just for that reason. This one does seem to have some issues, but I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds pretty good, Mel! Originality is also a key ingredient for me when it comes to retellings, otherwise they'd just be telling the same story over and over again. >.< Jack and Jill seem like great characters who I'm sure I'll also like. Great review, Mel!!! I'm totally adding this to my TBR list. <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, this sounds absolutely interesting and thrilling. I just read Tiger Lily from Jodi Lynn Anderson and would love some good retellings to continue the streak. I am checking this out for sure. Thanks for the highlight! :)

    Faye @ The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huh, you know, I don't think I've ever read a book that was a mix of fairytales before; I've only ever read retellings of one fairytale at a time. This sounds fun (if not perfect)! Originality is so important to me when it comes to retellings, so I think I would like this alotalot. Thanks so much for the review, Mel! Really great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aylee! If you haven't read anything like that before, I think you're up for something good if you read this one :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.