Review 224. Kendare Blake - Anna dressed in blood.

9378297 Title: Anna dressed in blood.
Author: Kendare Blake.
Pages: 316.
Published: September 2011 by Tom Doherty
Sort: Part one of ‘Anna’


Cas Lowood, armed with his late father's athame knife, kills ghosts. In Thunder Bay, Anna, forever 16, drips blood on her white dress from throat slit in 1958, and rips apart anyone who enters her house - except Cas. He makes new friends - high school queen Carmel, jock Will, admiring nerd Thomas and Tom's voodoo grandpa Morfran - to fight this demon.


 Rating:
It took me some time to get in the story, but when we came to the part where Cas meets Anna, I was completely hooked. I never thought that a YA book could be scary and bloody like this, because I haven’t got much luck with YA horror books so far. But at the same time, I don’t think it was too scary. Someone who doesn’t like ghost books is definitely capable of reading and enjoying this.

Meet Cas, normal teenager boy slash ghosthunter. He travels with his mother around the world in his fathers footsteps. Together with his athame knife and his skills, he takes care of the haunting ghosts. That is until he meets Anna, the girl who was murdered in her school dress years ago. She is still hunting in a house and many teenagers died. Cas believes it’s a job like any other, until he meets Anna. She doesn’t rip him apart and he understands that something else is going on. Together with his new friends, something that rarely happens, Cas wants to find out what is the story behind Anna.
What I really liked is that this isn’t just a ghost story. There is more depth to it when we find out what truly happened to Anna; and why she is so conflicted about all the murders. I felt so sorry for her and I was hoping for Cas to find a solution. It doesn’t take away that Anna is one scary girl. She can snap and change with the blink of an eye, but her sweet side shows an admirable girl.
I liked Cas. I think Kendare did a great job on portraying a teenage boy. His voice sounded believable and I like how normal he seems, despite his messed-up life. It’s also interesting that Kendare managed to take clich├ęd characters and turned them into something more. Example: Carmel. She is the typical queen bee: pretty, popular and smart. But, Kendara turned her into something that felt realistic and she shows us that there is more to us than what we see the first time.
Then there is also the creepiness. There was one part in this book that frightened me. I’m not going to tell you what it is, but it has something to do with the way Cas’ father died. Let me just say that reading this before sleeping wasn’t the best idea. I kept hearing strange sounds everywhere.. I can’t wait to read the next book!

39 comments

  1. I'm reading it right now! Hope I like it as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I am glad you enjoyed. I thought it was really refreshing to read a story from a male point of view! It was definitely creepy/scary.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There need to be more believable male POV's!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I'm a bit of a black sheep with this one, since I only found it to be ok. I think I would have liked it if it was more scary and I felt like Anna and Cas's relationship took me by surprise. The one ghost at the end was definitely a bit creepy though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the worst with horror novels and movies because I get freaked out so easily, but I've been wanting to read this for a while so I'm glad to hear that you didn't think it would be too scary for the faint of heart (like me)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the ending, but overall, it was toned down enough :)

      Delete
  5. I just couldn't get into this book. But I keep coming across positive reviews, and I feel like I should give Anna Dressed in Blood another try. I just didn't like Cas that much. I do love a good ghost story though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, almost perfect. It's been sitting on the bookshelf for months. I might read it soon then (though horror stories aren't really my forte). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved this book :) It was creepy, but interesting and I really enjoyed it. Glad you like it and great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the cover and haven't been too interested in the story, but now I am! I think you had me at depth. Eee, and creepiness! I officially want to read this now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, guess who's reading it! I'm now interested to hear how Carmel turns out to be a great character, and I'm definitely waiting for that creep factor to appear. Everyone's saying how creepy Kendare Blake's books are, and Antigoddess was certainly gory. (But I just strangely don't feel that squeamish about it!) And everyone's complaining that it wasn't as good as Anna, so my expectations are just slowly simmering under the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna was definitely one scary girl. In fact I may have had a girl crush on her. Cas was bad ass though. I really liked how he actually had a personality that was set aside from his ghost hunter self.
    I am SO GLAD you enjoyed this Mel. :)

    Great Review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually had this one pretty much untouched on my shelf. Guess I really should have give this one a try like real soon 0.0
    Love that you mentioned that the characters aren't just an empty stereotype but much more than that!

    Thank you for sharing, Mel! Will definitely pick this one up soon (Although I've never read any horror before, though).

    Neysa @ [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am usually creeped out by ghost books mainly because they aren't creepy at all. Anna isn't creepy but the villain is. And the way the victims are murdered...*shudders* I read this book in hopes of scaring myself but didn't work out. I'll admit, I'm a little irked out when I finished. Glad you enjoyed it! I'm reading the next book too.
    Seriously Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay :D So happy that you mostly loved this book. <3 I did too. Sigh. It was just so good. I too found it creepy and scary, though I would not have minded it if it had been more creepy, hih :D The story was just so good and a bit heartbreaking as well. I hope you will enjoy the sequel just as much. <3 I did :) Thank you for sharing your awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one that I've been meaning to read for forever and haven't yet. The creepy/scary stuff worries me a little because I can only handle so much, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll read it sometime soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really loved this book as well one of my favorite reads!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is probably the best ghost story I've ever read.It gave me nightmares.*shudders*
    I loved the characters,and like you said Kendare has made the characters more relate-able.You'll love the sequel even more.Girl of Nightmares lives up to its name:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know what's weird? I still haven't read this one and never rushed into adding it to my tbr shelf because it just didn't sound like my kind of book....but reading your review now makes me think I'd like this. I can do ghost stories but I just thought this would be too scary for this scaredy-cat but the way you describe the depth the characters seem to have; not to mention the mystery of it all is really appealing to me :D Awesome review Mel, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is more to it than just being creepy :)

      Delete
  18. Yay, you liked this one! I adored this one too.
    Like you said, I love the fact that each character is not cliche at all, but also has a hidden side to them. Cas is awesome too; I love his attitude.
    I hope you'll enjoy Girl of Nightmares Mel. I just love its cover! :D<3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scary and creepy and FUNNY, right? I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, it was one of my favorites that year! I hope you like book two as well. :) Anna is awesome.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes! I liked what she did with Carmel and the other side characters as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've wanted to read this one for a while now & this review only makes me want to read it more! I wasn't aware that the story features a male protagonist and that makes me more intrigued. Awesome review & I'll definitely give this one a read (but not at night, I will heed your warning)! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.