Let it go | Dragons and bullies.



Today I have two books for you. One dragon book gone wrong and a bully book I wish I could lit on fire. I don't think there has ever been a book that made me feel that way. There are books you don't like, there are books you can't connect with and this is a book I hated with a fierce passion.
17339959
It's a high school prank gone horribly wrong-sneaking onto the rez to pose next to a sleeping dragon-and now senior Melissa Callahan has become an unsuspecting pawn in a war between Man and Monster, between family and friends and the dragons she has despised her whole life. Chilling, epic, and wholly original, this debut novel imagines a North America where dragons are kept on reservations, where strict blackout rules are obeyed no matter the cost, where the highly weaponized military operates in chilling secret, and where a gruesome television show called Kissing Dragons unites the population.
Joshua McCune - Talker 25. Expected publication: April 22nd 2014 by Greenwillow / HarperCollins. (Edelweiss)
DNF around 13%. This book went wrong for me with Melissa. I couldn’t stand her. There was something annoying about her and I disliked how she treats her family. She makes fun of her brother in front of a crowd, she yells and is disobedient to her father and when she comes in trouble, she likes to blame others for it. It’s sad that I didn’t got the chance to meet the dragons, which was the reason I wanted to read this book in the first place.

18599820
Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault. At least, that's what everyone seems to think. Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community, and the media. During the summer before her senior year, in between meetings with lawyers and a court-recommended therapist, Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment—and ultimately consider her role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over.


Amanda Maciel - Tease. Expected publication: April 29th 2014 by Balzer + Bray. (Edelweiss)
DNF around 7%. I have no idea what was going on here. Sara was by far one of the most infuriating characters I’ve met this year. Books about bullying are my soft spot and I thought it would be interesting to read a book through the bullies eyes. WRONG. If I didn’t hate Sara after all her slut shaming, this would have done the trick. She and her friend Brielle have been bullying and name-calling Emma and the girl commits suicide. Now Sara is complaining about how Emma ruined her life even more and how she is innocent; she is the victim her. OH HELL NO. It’s hard for me to feel something else than fury when it comes to bullies, but I was willing to see her side of the story. This ruined any connection or compassion I could possible feel for her. My e-reader was filled with quotes that enraged me when I decided I couldn’t take it any longer. This is one of Sara fine remarks:

“We have testimony that you . . .” The crappy-shade-of-blonde head turns toward Hot Intern and he hands her a piece of paper with a bunch of writing on it. “Yes, here. You called her a slut?”
“Okay.”
“Did you call Miss Putnam a slut?”
“Um, I guess so.”
“You don’t remember?”
“I mean, I don’t remember calling her a slut that day.” I do remember pushing Emma against the lockers. Her dark-red hair wasn’t pulled back yet and it settled in those annoyingly pretty curls around her shoulders as she sort of scrunched up defensively, wincing and crying in that helpless-little-girl way that just made me angrier. She whimpered a little, I remember that. She held up her hands slightly, either like she was surrendering or finally starting to protect herself—I don’t know which. Or maybe I do. I guess it was surrender.
This would all be embellishing, though, so I don’t say it.
“Do you mean you called her a slut on another occasion?”
“I mean, I thought she was a slut. I’m sure I called her a slut. I don’t know if I called her a slut on January the twenty-third.”

-eARC page 10.

tumblr_inline_mt6bp8BFkC1rm5dv7Don’t even get me started on the amount of ‘skanks’ and ‘whores’ I encountered. I wish I got money for every time I read one of these words on a page, I would end up being a millionaire. I stopped counting after 26 words.

And now the whole world thinks Emma Putnam killed herself because we called her a slut—not because she was a slut. That makes sense.
-eARC page 12.

So, she should have committed suicide because she was flirting with guys and you thought it was skanky? Time to open your eyes, miserable human being.


I’m done talking about this horrible book.. Have you read any of these books?

46 comments

  1. This meme reminds me of Frozen ;P I saw a lot of DNFs and low rating for Talker 25 so I swiped it off my list earlier this week. MCs that treat their family like crap are definitely not gonna keep me reading! I am currently reading Tease, I see why a lot of people hate it with the amount of slut shaming but I think it's interesting. Will keep reading for now.

    Lovely mini reviews, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's inspired by it :p I think family is important and treating them like shit when they only care for you is something I can't agree with. I hope you end up liking Tease more than I did!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear dear, both sound absolutely terrible! Especially Tease, and I had such high hopes for that one! That's such a shame.
    I hate it when I cannot connect to the characters properly, or when morality switches and it's pinned on the wrong side, like you described. I would not let that go (no pun intended) til the end of the book if I made it this far.
    This is a great feature you started, thanks for sharing!

    My INT giveaway
    My UK giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tease did sounds interesting, but nope.. just nope.

      Delete
  3. Ughh, the mc for Talker sounds annoying. Even though dragons would usually attract me to a book, I had this bad feeling about it, and now after reading your review I'm glad I didn't download it.

    As for Tease I can't even. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that I would be able to deal with either of these books either Mel, especially Tease, it would annoy me so much! I really need to start dnf'ing more books too, instead of forcing myself through all of them! Thanks for your honest reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea :) Why force yourself to read something bad?

      Delete
  5. If the excerpt you provided for Tease is any indication, it now made me scared. But I'm still giving Talker 25 a go. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I think it really depends on what you like in a book, because Talker 25 has a great promise. I might go back when I feel more like it :) Perhaps Melissa changes further in the book.

      Delete
  6. This is a great feature! I have DNF'ed a couple of books this year, and so far, I haven't written anything about them - it feels like I already spent too much time on them trying to read them... But at the same time, letting others know that I did actually stop reading and why can be helpful.

    Tease sounds really awful! And I wonder what the author thought about writing a story from a bully's pov. Maybe she realizes later on how awful she is? Yeah, that sounds optimistic, but that's just me :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always find it useful to see why someone DNF a book, so I thought I would introduce the same thing myself :) I hope the character does, because she is a horrible human being in the beginning.

      Delete
  7. I totally understand why you would DNF on these books. The need to like the characters is a huge factor for me. If I can't stand them, there's no way in heck, I'd like what I'm reading.

    Great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name of your new feature! It totally fits what you're doing Mel! :D
    Ughhh, characters that just hates on their family and does horrible things to them doesn't ring right with me, unless they have a good valid reason of course.
    I've also read tons of reviews of Tease and I'm honestly wondering what the author was trying to do when she was writing Sara. Was she aiming for the horrible character turns good character development, or...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, that's what I was going for :D!

      She didn't had any reason to treat her brother & father like that. She just snapped and had some kind of bitch fit. She even realized she was being nasty and she still did it.

      Delete
  9. I can't stand when main characters like Melissa are mean and don't respect their family members. I don't think I could stand reading from a bully's POV either :P
    Love your name for this new feature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The name of this feature is kinda totally genius. It makes me wish I thought of it! Darn!

    I don't think I'd like any of the two books. Talker 25 is just so not my comfort zone and Tease sounds exactly like how I kinda feared it would be! When I first heard of it, I was worried that it would turn the tables on Emma, making HER the victim. Well, I haven't read the book so I don't know exactly what's going on but Tease definitely doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! I'm quite happy with it too :D

      I was worried about Tease too, but I thought I should give it a try.. I should have listen to my gut instincts.

      Delete
  11. Ugh, I'm so sorry that these books were awful for you. They don't sound that good, to be honest, hih (A) And agh. Reading your thoughts.. yeah, I'm glad you DNF-ed them. I won't read them either. Thank you for being honest sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made it halfway through Tease and, trust me, it didn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great feature! I don't DNF books often either but when I do... I have usually quite a bit about to say why! Although I usually don't... this feature makes me feel like I should!

    Tease wouldn't have interested me but Talker 25 was on my "interested in list" - I definitely don't want to read it now! UGH on both books!

    I get frustrated sometimes with YA issues books, like what the authors think we want to read.. :(

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's always interesting to read someone's reasons to DNF, so you definitely should spotlight them! :)

      Delete
  14. I really, really love how you've done this, Mel- the idea for this new feature is great, and (especially when it comes to review books) I always feel a little bad when I don't finish them and can't review them, and this is great because you still get to share your thoughts on books you didn't finish! It seems like a great idea, though of course not finishing a book is always unfortunate. Still, I think this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eww, when a main character has nothing redeeming about them it's hard to keep reading, huh? I'm interested in Talker 25 because of the dragons, but I think I'll go in with low expectations for Melissa. I really don't like people who mistreat their own family. But I'm glad I wasn't interested in Tease to begin with. Just from those little snippets. No. Can't. Won't.

    At least you've got a great new feature! I love love love the title and graphic! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having lower expectations and knowing how Melissa acts will help! I think I will go back some day, because still fascinates me.

      Delete
  16. Aw. Was thinking of picking up Talker 25 for the dragons, too---but I think now I'll pass. Thanks for the warning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooray for the Frozen reference! <3 Well, I've never heard of Talker 25 and it doesn't sound all that interesting after your review, since I absolutely hate bitchy heroines, despite my growing love for dragons. I've been seeing back-to-back low ratings for Tease, so I've never added it to my TBR. All that slut-shaming will definitely not do good for my brain cells. Wonderful reviews, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a waste, because I love dragons!

      Delete
  18. I made the painful decision to finish Tease. I really wish I had DNFed it. Everyone insisted that Sara grew and developed, but I didn't see any of that. In the last 10% there was this authorial handwave and all of a sudden Sara claimed to understand and feel sorry, but it just wasn't organic. Definitely one of the worst books I've read. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It's good to hear I made the right decision, but sorry that you had to suffer through it :p

      Delete
  19. You know I've never been interested in reading a bully book. I don't think they would be for me. I hope I fair better with Talker 25 than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, I don't know why, but I always enjoy when you get ranty about books, Mel! It's funny. But I am sorry you had two bad experiences here. At least now I know to stay away, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I might have some more rants coming up :p

      Delete
  21. Whoaaa now i'm pissed! I read the first few quotes you put up from Tease and thought "Hmm…this girl will probably survive the interrogation since she knows what to say and what not to say." Then I read the part about "she committed suicide because she was called a slut not that she was a slut" - HOLY CRAP I'M INFURIATED. How is that even a plausible reason for her suicide…WHAT THE HECK. Sure, she might flirt with guys but if YOU DIDN'T BULLY HER WHY WOULD SHE COMMIT SUICIDE?!!?
    But I'm a little curious…it's possible to arrest someone on grounds of bullying? Never knew that considering the last book I read that involved a boy suicidng due to bullying never mentioned the bullies getting arrested….
    I'm sorry these didn't work out for you! Hope your next reads are better<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. It made me so mad.. I don't know, actually!

      Delete
  22. I'm currently reading Tease right now, and I have 40 pages left. Yes, it's a book that probably a lot of people won't be able to stand, but I actually enjoyed it! (Btw, her best friend's name is Brielle). I understand how annoying it is to see Sara think of herself non-guilty, but later on, she does! haha! Anyways, thanks for sharing your honest opinions!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I'm going to change the name :) It's good to hear you liked it, I guess it really depends on what you look for in a book!

      Delete
  23. Like Mel I'll start singing that song from Frozen :D Well Talker is new to me and yeah it doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy either, but it's a shame to hear that about Tease. I have seen it around but had no idea those words repeat so many times. It's a no-no then. Great post, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahhh Mel, you always have the best/most creative features and titles for them. I love this idea ^^ Personally I've never heard of either of these books so I'll just avoid them both altogether with what I read here. The MC in Talker 25 frustrated me just by how you described her. Ugh! I kind of already want to punch her LOL And that bullying book? Nope. Nope. Nope. When you've been bullied it is quite a touchy subject I agree and I'd have a hard (probably impossible) time finding any kind of sympathy for a bully who is mad at her victim for ruining HER life?! Again: NOPE! Thanks for the warning on both of these Mel and I'm sorry you had to suffer through them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I must say, I'm happy with the name :D Tease was a NOPE NOPE for me.

      Delete
  25. I have Tease for review so now I am really worried about reading it, Mel!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh goodness from the sounds of it I will want to strangle both of these MCs in no time. Nope I will not be reading these.

    And I am going to sing Let It Go in my head every time you write one of these posts. I do not mind this :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea Mel.I love the concept,and of course the movie which inspired it:)
    I haven't heard of these two books,but thanks for the warning,I'll try to stay away from them.I hate it when ARCs end up being disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have started DNFing a lot more books lately. There is just so much to read and good things to read too that I don't like spending time on something that I'm not liking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.