Armchair BEA: Expanding horizon.

ArmchairBEA LogoExample
What do you think about when you think about going beyond blogging or expanding your horizons? Is it a redesign of your blog? Have you branched out into freelance writing or even published a novel of your very own? Or, have you moved into a different venue like podcasts or vlogging? This is the day to tell us about how you have expanded on blogging in your own unique way. 

Expanding to me means that I do something I've never done before. A new experience, like going to another social media. I've made one vlog before (but it got lost after problems with my youtube account) and I'm actually planning on picking this up again. My plan is to have a vlog with my book haul for Sunday, when I post my monthly recap. I've also tried expanding by making my own features (my newest one is Let it go, where I showcase short - and DNF reviews.) I think I make my blog unique by being myself and sharing my love for Disney and fairytales. Which is why I also have a feature called 'Fairytale news' where I sometimes highlight upcoming retellings.

I also requested books and got myself on a mailing list + auto-approval on Edelweiss. I interviewed an author and was part of a blog tour. I never thought I would be able to achieve so much and I love every minute of it! 


Now it is time to give a little love to those little stories in your life. Share your love for your favorite shorts of any form. What is a short story or novella that doesn’t get the attention that it deserves? Recommend to readers what shorts you would recommend they start with. How about listing some short story anthologies based upon genres or authors? 

I'm not sure what to think about short stories or novellas. I like them and I don't like them at the same time. They can provide interesting background or another POV for the story. I don't like it when the novella is essential to understand the main books, because I don't want to be forced to buy something extra. The best novellas I've read so far are bundled in The assassin's blade - Sarah J. Maas. This is how I like my novellas. They are in chronological time order and show the past of our main character, but at the same times you don't have to read them to follow the story in the books. If I love a series, I will read anything the author writes.

Short stories are too short for me, haha. I know that's why they are called 'short', but I need more to be able to connect with the story and the characters. Most of the times I'm not able to feel something in such a short period of time, so I don't care about it. I think that's why most anthologies don't work out for me. There are some authors who manage to capture me no matter how long the story, but it doesn't happen very often.

How about you? What do you do for expanding and do you like novellas/short stories?

26 comments

  1. I have 3 of those novellas back before book 1 came out in the series and they were free. But I STILL haven't read them. I completely agree - I don't want to pay for novellas.

    Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read very few novellas or short stories connected to a longer book. I'm old school in that I have an English/literature background in university, and so I had to read TONS of short stories back in the day. I have found that I still like short stories, but I'm especially hooked when they're all connected by a common theme or setting. Then it feels more like a novel or novella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read quite a few novellas, but I only buy them when it's one of my favourite reads or series. Like the Shatter Me trilogy, the novellas for this series were really handy. They were a way to get to know some of the characters better, and I loved those short stories that went with the series. I have the novellas for the Throne of Glass series as well (yet to read) and a few more. All of them are a part of my favourite series though!

    I think I'm only willing to spend money on them if I really really love a book (judging from my previous purchases). I'm finding a pattern haha.

    I love the Armchair BEA you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, that is what I do too :) Welcome back!

      Delete
  4. Oh! and it has been WAY too long since I've been around and commented! I'm so glad to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about short stories! You said it perfectly--they're so short that there's not enough there for me to connect to. There are some exceptions--I love Laini Taylor's short stories and novellas, and I also really like Jhumpa Lahiri's short story anthologies. But usually, unless they're written by an author I trust, I avoid short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to take a look at Laini's novellas :)

      Delete
  6. I think you'd like the novella The Little Android by Marissa Meyer! It's a retelling of The Little Mermaid (the original fairytale, not the disney version) and it's my favorite novella so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! She is one of the authors I referred to :D

      Delete
  7. I usually feel the same way about short stories. They just end up being way too short for me to feel any connection to the characters, but there's the occasional short that I will love. And I love your features! Those are some neat ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney, I'm also very happy with my features :)

      Delete
  8. I once considered vlogging but I'm incredibly camera shy and decided to not to do it. Plus, I don't own a video camera. As for short stories, I think I prefer to write them than read them. I had to read tons of short stories for uni this year and I still don't have the motivation to write a whole novel yet. I will someday though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very shy too and it's akward and painful to see myself struggle, haha. But I will succeed!

      Delete
  9. I agree with you about novellas. I hate it when they are so imperative to the story line that you are missing out if you don't read them. I feel like if something is that important to the story then it should be in the full length books. Some of my favorite novellas were by Veronica Rossi for her Under the Never Sky series. They were well written and not just thrown together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DNF reviews sound like a fascinating idea. I'll check those out...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your DNF reviews! It's bold yet respectful and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Mel! I know what you mean about short stories. It's just enough time to fall in love and get comfy and then... IT'S OVER! Right as you're ready for it to begin. It's a rate author who can really do it for me with a short.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post Mel. <3 Thank you so much for sharing :D And ohhh. I have this too: " a mailing list + auto-approval on Edelweiss." I am on two mailing lists. <3 *SO happy* :D And Auto-approval for HarperTeen on Edelweiss. Sigh. It still kills me a little to think about. So happy that they approved me. Though I always download waaaay too many books.. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of the Let It Go feature. I'll have to check out your posts!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the concept of Let It Go/DNF reviews. I spend too much time struggling through books that I don't care for these days. There is too much good stuff out there for that.

    Short stories and novellas are hit or miss for me too,

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been entertaining the idea of a vlog. I was thinking of doing one for my BEA haul. I'm a little scared of my face being on Youtube, I need to check if there is a way to only view the video if you view it through my blog. But I digress.

    I am slowly branching out like you have. Requesting more books, investing more time in features. That kind of thing. It's been a long time coming, and I'm happy how things are going so far!

    And I've probably said this before but I've never read a novella! But I plan on reading the ToG novellas soon. Maybe even the novellas for The Lunar Chronicles. I can see reading them for my favorite series, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! It's a bit scary, but I'd love to see a vlog :D The ToG novellas are so worth it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.