Review 259. Amy Plum – After the end.

13601681Title: After the end.
Author: Amy Plum.
Pages: 352.
Published: May 6th 2014 by HarperTeen.
Sort: After the end #1.
Source: ARC from the publisher for an honest review.
She’s searching for answers to her past. They’re hunting her to save their future. World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there. At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life. When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie. Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.
Rating:

I am left frustrated and confused by this book. I liked the idea of a community in Alaska after World War III; the only thing is, Juneau finds out this never happened. I thought it would give some interesting situations, with Juneau trying to blend into the modern world and her mission to save her clan. Instead, I was bored and it seemed to take me a lot of time to finish it. The slow pacing doesn’t work here. I am familiar with her other series so I know she likes her cliff-hangers, but this ending felt too abrupt.

Juneau grew up with the knowledge she was going to be the next clan leader. She is capable of ‘Reading’ which is done with the energy from Yara. Whit is her guide, but everything he ever told her appears to be a lie. When Juneau returns from hunting, her clan is kidnapped and people are looking for her. She runs into Miles, which is just such a 'coincidence'. He is looking for her, because his father is after her and Miles hopes to get some credits. This leads to a lot of the same: traveling, escaping and running.

tumblr_mc9k67kKOi1rq6o4g
I disliked how Miles is able to find Juneau that easily. She changed her looks, so there is no way he could recognize her after that transformation. It was something that happened to make the story unravel, but it was by no means realistic. Also, Juneau grew up in isolation, but she is able to drive a car without any problem?

Juneau and Miles obviously don’t trust each other, but they are aware they need each other at the same time. Miles is “the blissfully ignorant spawn of the rich” and Juneau is a “paranoid schizophrenic.” It’s not long before they start to get feelings, even when Juneau had some clever moments where she tells herself that there is no time for a stupid teenage boy. But, like many other weak Dystopian MC’s, she soon falls for his charm.

I feel okay about both characters. They aren’t the best, but I've encountered worse characters. I felt a little disconnected from them and the interesting plot around Juneau’s reading powers doesn’t get to shine. The slow pace kills everything and that is a shame. Most annoying about this book? The fact that the ending makes me want to read the sequel.

30 comments

  1. Oh dear. This is one of the first negative reviews I've come across and do see what you mean. I have yet to read this but i'm not liking the idea of all these conveniences.

    Brilliant honest review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might end up loving it, you never know :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the honest review, Mel. This one is my next read. I hope I will enjoy the book.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, I'll be reading this soon and for some reason, I wasn't all that interested in reading it and now... Sigh, why does this keep happening. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the premise is interesting, though a bit Village-esque by M. Night. Shamalyan (or however you spell his name) it's sad it's not super well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack, the plot sounds so inconsistent and gah the unable to resist his charm trope does get a bit old. I had a little bit of interest in the book from a good review but after reading yours I really don't think it's up my alley. Thanks for the great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, amazing review sweetie. <3 I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book more :\ I will be reading it after my hardcover arrives.. most likely, lol. But I'm glad you didn't hate the characters. That is a plus :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, if I hated the characters I don't think I could have finished this.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry that you didn't like After The End dearie. :( But I do appreciate your points. You do make sense! Now I'm a bit nervous to starts this.. Thanks for the great honest review!

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. This si what I was afraid of with regards to this novel. The conveniences. The timeskips that served as a lame way to skip character development (suddenly being able to drive a car? okaaay). Thanks for the review Mel! Still on the fence regarding this one. So many mixed reviews!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say.. if you have nothing else to read, try it, haha. Otherwise, I don't think you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. It was definitely a torturous cliffhanger! Despite actually enjoying this book, that kind of cliffhanger bugs me, it's waaay too open and downright cruel if you care for the characters at all. For whatever reason, the pacing of this one worked for me! It was slow but held my interest throughout.

    Sorry it let you down, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy it worked for you! And these endings, ughhh.

      Delete
  10. I've only seen negative or not-so-positive reviews of this one so far, which is a shame because the cover is cool and the premise sounds promising.

    I think I'd have issues with how easy it was for the character to be found, too

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt indifferent to the characters, too. Juneau was okay, but I wanted to throw a brick at Miles, lol. I definitely felt like everything was too convenient for how he found her, too. I just--this book was kind of boring. That's all I have to say. Awesome review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, he could use a good slap every now and then!

      Delete
  12. Ok you've got some very valid points about convenience in this book that would probably bug me to no end as well. I'm glad I decided this one wasn't going to be for me and didn't pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blerg, I've seen some pretty differing reviews for this one, but it seems that they err on the side of negative. I can handle slow pacing in a lot of cases, but not when it's not useful to the story and only takes up space. Ho hum. Maybe you'll like the sequel better? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, slow pacing can work great for me too, but here.. not so much. I hope so, because I'm thinking about reading it because of that terrible ending.

      Delete
  14. Oh dear, I was so excited for this one but it seems you're not the only one of my trusted blogger friends to be incredibly let down by this one. I'm so sorry this simply did not work for you, reading your review makes me think it won't work for me either. I'd gotten my hands on an arc but I think I'll put it off for a bit...The slow pacing here is especially of concern to me since it seems like this would be the type of book that needs a faster pace. And the ''coincidences'' here already kind of annoy me and I haven't even started yet >.< Lovely review as always though Mel ^^ thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a good idea, I wouldn't recommend making this one a priority :)

      Delete
  15. "Most annoying about this book? The fact that the ending makes me want to read the sequel." Hah I know exactly what you mean. I think I am going to use this as more of a reason to stay away from this book though, because it's probably not worth suffering through the rest of it, unless the sequel is all of a sudden amazing. There seem to be too many flaws to this book. Coincidences and insta-love get on my nerves. That, combined with lukewarm characters? Mmm no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice. I really hope the sequel is better.. it makes up for the time I spend on this book.

      Delete
  16. Hah, don't you hate it when you don't enjoy a book, but you feel compelled to pick up the next one to see what happens?! I have come across that several times recently.

    A lot of people loved this author's debut DIE FOR ME, but I had rather mixed feelings about it (liked, didn't love), so I never picked up any of her others. Looks like I'm safe in skipping this one, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.