Let it go | Alias Hook, Eona and Adorkable.


Today a DNF review for a fairytale retelling that just didn't work for me.  It's a shame, because it's about my favorite character from the TV show Once upon a time and I was hoping to get some interesting background story; Alias Hook. I also review the second book in the duology about Eon/Eona, which disappointed me and I was surprised by Adorkable. I liked it more than I thought I would, because I don't read many fluffy contemporaries.

18404312Lisa Jensen – Alias Hook. Publication date: July 8th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books. Source: Netgalley.
Meet Captain James Benjamin Hook, a witty, educated Restoration-era privateer cursed to play villain to a pack of malicious little boys in a pointless war that never ends. But everything changes when Stella Parrish, a forbidden grown woman, dreams her way to the Neverland in defiance of Pan’s rules. From the glamour of the Fairy Revels, to the secret ceremonies of the First Tribes, to the mysterious underwater temple beneath the Mermaid Lagoon, the magical forces of the Neverland open up for Stella as they never have for Hook. And in the pirate captain himself, she begins to see someone far more complex than the storybook villain. With Stella’s knowledge of folk and fairy tales, she might be Hook’s last chance for redemption and release if they can break his curse before Pan and his warrior boys hunt her down and drag Hook back to their neverending game.
DNF.
Look at the cover! Look at the blurb! It looked and sounded like everything I look for in a book. Peter Pan retelling with Hook as protagonist, it could have been amazing. Instead, I was bored and that made me lose my interest. I really liked the dark Neverland and what a douche Peter Pan actually is. I love the reason behinds Hook wish to kill Peter and his background story. I like how girls and boys dream their way in Neverland, but I just can't stand the slow snail pace and the fact that nothing happens . That is the reason I decided to stop reading this book at the 40% mark.

11166613Alison Goodman – Eona. April 19th 2011 by VIKING by Penguin Group. Warning: don’t read the blurb if you haven’t read the first book.
Eon has been revealed as Eona, the first female Dragoneye in hundreds of years. Along with fellow rebels Ryko and Lady Dela, she is on the run from High Lord Sethon's army. The renegades are on a quest for the black folio, stolen by the drug-riddled Dillon; they must also find Kygo, the young Pearl Emperor, who needs Eona's power and the black folio if he is to wrest back his throne from the selfstyled "Emperor" Sethon. Through it all, Eona must come to terms with her new Dragoneye identity and power - and learn to bear the anguish of the ten dragons whose Dragoneyes were murdered. As they focus their power through her, she becomes a dangerous conduit for their plans.
FINISHED: 3 stars. 
That was disappointing. I fell in love with the characters and world-building in Eon and I had high expectations for this one. It felt like it was written by someone else. All the characters were completely different. I was annoyed by Eona, I disliked her romance with Kygo and I was creeped out about the love-triangle with Ido. Kygo was so aggressive and unkind, pouting like a little boy instead of ruling with respect. There is no chemistry with Eona, they are only verbally fighting. Making googly eyes doesn’t change the fact that their relationship isn’t healthy. I even started to think about Ido as interesting and he is a treacherous, nasty guy, but he is at least honest about his motives. If it wasn’t for the dragons and the awesome world-building, I would have given this book 2.5 stars.

10890319Sarra Manning – Adorkable. May 24th 2012 by Atom.
Welcome to the dorkside. It's going to be a bumpy ride...
Jeane Smith's a blogger, a dreamer, a dare-to-dreamer, a jumble sale queen, CEO of her own lifestyle brand and has half a million followers on twitter. Michael Lee's a star of school, stage and playing field. A golden boy in a Jack Wills hoodie. They have nothing in common but a pair of cheating exes. So why can't they stop snogging?
FINISHED: 3.5 stars.
This is a book that needs time. The beginning made me doubt whether I was going to enjoy it, but after continuing I was happy I didn’t give up. Thanks to Debby’s high praises I started to warm up for the story and the characters.

Jeane is a dork who is incredibly snappy and snobbish to ‘normal people.’ She is mean to everyone around her and is only herself on her blog and social media. But when you find out about her background story, it’s not strange she is closed and afraid to let people close to her. I also liked how Jeane embraces her dorkiness and that she makes it her own brand. I understood her feelings for blogging and the friends she makes online and I disagreed with Michael because he believes it's all fake. Michael is the golden boy. There is also more to him than you would expect.

I disliked the relationships and how the characters handled them. Jeane is a couple with Barney, but they have no chemistry at all, and Michael is with Scarlett – a relationship doomed to die sooner or later. I just wish they were all mature enough to break-up, but when that happens Jeane and Michael learn more about each other. They have endless discussions and snarky conversations, but they can’t take their hands off each other. I really appreciated the realistic look on sex and how awkward it can be in the beginning. I only wished Michael stopped calling Jeane ugly and unattractive, because that rubbed me the wrong way.

Despite some of those bumps, I couldn't put this book down and I read it in one sitting. It's very easy and quick to read and I like how it all ended.

35 comments

  1. Too bad about the first book! I've seen the other two around but haven't picked them up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I thought you'd DNFed Adorkable and was a bit sad, but I'm happy to see that you did like it, even though it's not your type of book normally. I loved it for the sexy bits. It wasn't quite perfect, but I still really ate it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I also post short reviews here. The sexy bits were great!

      Delete
  3. I really like this new feature, and the link from frozen, such a great film. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the Peter Pan retelling as personally I really enjoyed Once Upon a Time too! I think I might check out Adorkable since I quite like the occasional fluffy romance, so I am glad you changed your mind about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you about Adorkable! It really did sound "adorkable" from the blurb but then I started reading and there were a lot of things that bugged me. I did still enjoy it overall because as you said, it is a very easy and quick read so I was flipping the pages like mad even though there were some bits that made me want to scream with frustration. Namely, the parts where Michael talked about how unappealing Jeane was. Once or twice may have been okay so we can see that there wasn't that immediate attraction between them but then after a while it was just really... unsavoury for me. And I also really disliked how Jeane thought she was better than everyone else. I admired her confidence but at times, it seemed to cross over into arrogance and that is a little less likeable. But yeah overall I did really enjoy it like you did and I thought the ending was cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't like those parts. I don't like it when people think about others as unappealing and ugly as often as he did.

      Delete
  5. Ohh, you stopped Alias Hook at 40%? I would not have been able to not finish reading it, hah :D But aw. I'm so sorry you didn't like it :\ I don't think it is for me either, sigh. And ACK! Eona. Sniffs. I remember loving it. But I don't remember the bad things you say about it, hah. But I do remember being pissed off about that love triangle. Ugh. I'm sorry you didn't like it :\ Amazing reviews Mel. <3 Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry Eona was such a huge letdown for you. I still need to read Eon myself but I've heard wonderful things about the first book - AND I remember your glowing review for it too! Alias Hook is a huge letdown across the board from what I can tell - all the other reviews I've read for it seem to be in agreement with you. :( I'm sorry it didn't work out but I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up for it too soon either! Awesome reviews/feedback Mel ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title of this new feature is so cool! Yeah, sometimes we have to "let them go". I usually don't DNF book immediately if I don't like them. I put them on-hold and will try again next time (a few months or year) to read it. If for the second attempt I still can't stand the story, that's the only time I gave up on reading them.

    Anyway, I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy Eona. It was a good series for me especially Eona and her dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sad Alias Hook was such a let down. Nooooo! I have such a fascination with Peter Pan and I LOVE retellings of it, so I really wanted to try Alias Hook. I probably still will if I ever stumble across it but...*lowers expectations* I want to read the Eon/Eona books sometime. Dragons. DRAGONS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also hoping to get a good story, but meh :(

      Delete
  9. Hmmm I've been curious about Adorkable for a while. I am a little worried about how I will take to Jeane and about the relationships now that you mention you didn't like how they were handled but since you still enjoyed this anyway, I think I still need to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad that to hear that alias hook was DNf . :/ . It sounds so good .

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sad that Alias Hook ended up being so slow, I was considering that one. I just love the whole idea of it, and I wanted to read a great Peter Pan retelling I'll have to give that one a miss though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge Peter Pan fan, so hearing that about Alias Hook is disappointing. I've heard that fro a ton of bloggers though. So unfortunately I think I'll have to pass on that one. I guess no one else can beat Jodi Lynn Anderson's version! ;)

    -Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you didn't like Alias Hook!! Luckily, slow pacing doesn't bother me much, but there really is very little that happens for a very long time. And I'm sorry about Eona! That's one series I've meant to pick, but it's such a shame that the second book was so disappointing. At least Adorkable wasn't all bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still love this feature. It's interesting to see which books you didn't like or like enough. I try to only post books I like on my blog, but sometimes I wonder if I should let others know when I've DNF'ed a book besides doing so on Goodreads.

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you were able to push through Adorkable, I always wondered what that book was about! That Hook retelling sounds like it had the potential to be awesome, too bad it fell through. Sad to hear that Eona was kind of meh for you too, I've heard great things about the series. Lovely reviews Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have really high hopes for Alias Hook and now I am really worried about it D: Why does there seem to be so many misses in the fairytale retellings as of late? It makes me kinda sad.

    For some reason, I have never been interested in reading Adorkable. I have seen SO MANY people raving about it, but I just know that i won't like it. I know that seems kinda harsh, but from what you've said, and just from the general feelings I have before I've even picked it up - I have a feeling that it is not a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also makes me sad, since it's one of my favorite things to read :(

      Delete
  17. Aw too bad that Eona was disappointing for you, Mel! Oh and Adorkable :| It looks super cute but if it takes a while to actually settle in then I shall move it down the TBR.

    Lovely reviews, girl! <33

    ReplyDelete
  18. I definitely agree that Eona wasn't as good as Eon (although I did enjoy Eona more than you did). It almost felt like because there wasn't any romance in the first book, the author was all OMG LET'S CRAM EVERYTHING INTO THE SEQUEL. And yeah, Kygo...not the best...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally agree with you on Eona, Mel! I loved the first book soo much, and then bam! The second one was rubbish, I couldn't believe my eyes :( I dnf-ed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is the sequel to EON that bad?! I fell in love with that first book, but never got to reading the sequel (even though my sister has it on her shelves already). I don't think I'll read it anymore... I don't want to be disappointed, and I absolutely LOVED the first book.
    I'm really really really sad to hear that you didn't like it at all... because most of the time, when you dislike a book, I'll end up disliking it for the same reasons. So yeah, I'll just leave it unread *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recommend it. I should just skip Eona if I were you and keep the love you have for the first book :)

      Delete
  21. I agree 100% with your thoughts on Alias Hook, though I managed to make it through to the end. Haha, I hounded the author for a copy BECAUSE it sounded so awesome - and, honestly, parts were (I especially loved Hook's backstory). ...then they weren't. I still have no idea what went wrong, how it could have possibly turned out to be so boring when the idea behind it was so interesting.

    Did you make it to Stella's arrival? Her appearance really brought the story down. It would have worked SO much better without the romance.

    The one good thing? That cover is even more stunning in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I 'met' Stella and not too long after that I stopped reading.

      Delete
  22. *Raises hand* Also a huge Hook fan on OUAT! So excited to see him and Emma this upcoming season. I checked Alias Hook out from the library also because the synopsis sounded so great, and it has such a beautiful cover. I never got around to reading it, but my sister did and she also DNF'ed because she got bored! So I figured it was best to avoid this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. For the longest time I had planned on reading Adorkable, but I skimmed through it at the bookstore one day and decided to X it out of my TBR list. The sex parts seemed weird to me, plus I read a scene where Michael kept thinking how unattractive she was... no thanks. The other two I hadn't planned on reading anyway. :P

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a really cool bog feature to have. Awesome Idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.