Mel in Movieland | Disney - Snow White.

Welcome to my new feature, where I will be combining books and movies! I bet you can guess how I came up in the name, but in case you aren’t; Alice in Wonderland. You can find my inspirations in this post Fairytale news: other content.

I’m currently watching all the Disney movies together with my blogging friends, called ‘Disney Journey’ and that's how this idea was born. This is also partly inspired by Project Disney from Picture us reading - you should check out their artwork in the trading cards!

tumblr_inline_n1hcihgmfA1rg0g8sBackground.
Today it’s up to the first Disney movie, Snow White. It is based on the German tale by the Brothers Grimm numbered as Tale 53. It is one of the most famous fairy tale across Europe. The version from the Brothers Grimm was actually an adaptation from an earlier story called 'Little Snowdrop' by Raphael Tuck & Sons.  Differences are mostly in the riddles and how the Queen dies (chokes on the wedding)

"Tell me glass, tell me true!
Of all the ladies in the land,

who is the fairest, tell me, who?"

In the first edition from Grimm there is an evil, jealous mother instead of the stepmother. The queen never ordered a servant; she takes Snow with her to gather flowers and abandons her. They believe the changes were done to tone down the story for children.

"You, my queen, are fair so true. But the young Queen is a thousand times fairer than you."
Basic story told in my way. Plot Snow White.
Snow White's stepmother is obsessed by her looks, so when her magic mirrors tells her Snow is more beautiful she can't handle that shit and decides to kill the girl. Snow escapes and lives perfectly innocent with the 7 male dwarfs. The Queen transforms into an old woman, offering her several goods ending with the poisoned apple. Snow, stupid as she is, eats it (after several attempts on her life) and a piece gets stuck in her throat. The dwarfs can't say goodbye and they put her corpse in a glass casket (yep, not creepy at all), until a prince arrives and wakes her. They get married, the Queen is a loser. The end.

Disney fact.
Snow White is the first American animated feature in color. Mel fact: Snow is my least favorite Disney princesses.

Comparison Disney - original tale.
-The dwarfs have names.
-The queen asks for her heart instead of lungs and liver.
-She appears older instead of 14, which makes her the youngest princess.
-There is one attempt to kill Snow instead of 3.
-She wakes up after the true love kiss from the prince. Original; the piece of apple gets dislodged.
-The queen falls down the cliff instead of dancing herself to death in hot-iron shoes.

Disney movie verdict.
The dwarfs look cute. I hate the voice from Snow White. I like that they only show the apple, because it would make the movie too repetitive and long. With a smile and a song is my favorite song from the movie. It's overall a good adaptation, but like I said, not my favorite.

Dutch facts.
Every English name is exact translated to Dutch. The names from Doc and the Queen are the same.
Snow white = Sneeuwwitje.
Happy = Giechel (which means 'Giggles')
Grumpy = Grumpie.
Sleepy = Dommel.
Sneezy = Niezel.
Bashful = Bloosje.
Dopey = Stoetel.

Movie adaptations.

1. Snow White is one of the main characters in the TV show Once Upon A Time. The biggest difference is how strong and kick-ass Snow is. OUAT provides a far better example of how I like to see her. We also have the Evil Queen and the Huntsman (who is a lot cuter here) The 7 dwarfs are adorable, especially grumpy. I'm a huge OUAT addict and highly recommend this series.
tumblr_mu9vush6Ak1qf2zyko6_2502. Mirror mirror is a more comical approach of the story. It features Julia Roberts as the evil queen (which I thought was brilliant) and Lily Collins as Snow.
3. Snow White and the huntsman. Visually pretty, but I dislike Kristen Stewart. How can a gorgeous woman like Charlize Theron as Evil Queen be jealous of Stewart and her endless open mouth?
4. Snow White. Adorable. I really like the dwarfs.
5. Grimm's Snow White. I’m planning to watch this despite the terrible ratings.
6. The brother’s Grimm is inspired by the Queen from Snow White. I love this movie. Heath Ledger!
7. Snow White: a tale of terror. Never seen this one. Also not planning to see it.
8. Snow white: a deadly summer. Never seen this one. Also not planning to see it.
9. Snow White (canon movie tales) Never seen this one. Also not planning to see it.
10. The upcoming ‘Into the woods’ a new movie based on the musical Into the woods. Have you seen the trailers? It looks so good, I can’t wait!

Book retellings.
Books I’ve read:
1. Tracy Lynn – Snow. Snow ends up with a group of thieves, until she gets an apology from her stepmother. Fun story, I like the twist to the dwarfs.
2. Gail Carson Levine – Fairest. Aza believes she’s not a beauty, but she does have one of the prettiest voices. Not my favorite.
3. Melanie Dickerson – The fairest beauty. Gabe claims that Sophie is married to his older brother and he is there to take her with him. There was a strong focus on faith, but nevertheless fun story.

High on my wish list:
1. Carolyn Turgeon – The fairest of them all.
2. Nancy Ohlin – Beauty.
3. R.C Lewis – Stitching snow.
4. Melissa Lemon – Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayham.
5. Catherynne M. Valente – Six-gun Snow white.
6. Marissa Meyer – Winter.

On the shelves:
1. Jim C. Hines – Princess series, consists of 4 books. Snow is one of the characters.

Others:
1. Lily Blake – Snow white and the huntsman.
2. Gregory Maguire – Mirror mirror.
3. Mette Ivie Harrison – Mira, mirror.
4. Lil St. Crow – Nameless.
5. Jane Yolen – Snow in summer.
6. K.D Jones – A white so red.
7. Jenni James – Snow white.
8. Cindy Bennett – Snow white.
9. Tanith Lee – White as snow.
9. Mercedes Lackey – The serpent’s shadow.
10. Sarah Cross – Tear you apart.
11. Ellen Datlow – Snow white, blood red anthologies with more fairy tales.
12. Serena Valentino – Fairest of all.

The last thing I want to show you are these awesome covers. I came across them when I researched this tale. I found them all on Pinterest and there are more (just search on 'Snow white movie posters') I made a selection of my favorite pictures.


This is another 'fun' fact that tells you something extra about the tale. It's one of those 'childhood ruined' pictures, so be aware of that. I thought it was.. interesting and I'm not sure if it's 100% true, but it's definitely something to think about.


What do you think about Snow White? What is your favorite song in the movie? Have you ever read the original tale or any of the retellings? And what about other movies?

48 comments

  1. My department is going to Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs for Halloween! I am going to be Sneezey :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post Mel. <3 Thank you so much for sharing about it :D Sigh. Snow White. It's been a while since I saw this movie. But I agree with you, it is not a favorite of mine. I just.. I remember it being kind of boring, lol, and I didn't like Snow White all that much :) But I do love Disney. <3 Cannot wait to see all your upcoming posts. You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this new feature! I seriously need to read the Grimm's tales. I am blinded by the Disney version lol. I didn't like Stewart in Snow White and the Huntsmen as well...she shows no emotion like in Twilight. I have not yet read any Snow White retelling, and when I do, I think I'll be reading Stitching Snow first just because the cover is gorgeous haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Disney is the nice toned down version :p I can't wait for Stitching snow.

      Delete
  4. I was actually just watching some videos from Snow White on Youtube the other day. :D I finally caught up in Once Upon a Time then saw a video where the cast talked about the fairy tale. After that, I decided to listen to some of songs from the Disney movie. Snow's post was a big surprise to me! I totally forgot how high it was. I remember really liking the movie when I was little, but the fairy tale itself isn't one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun feature! I loved reading this post. I'd also add The Glass Casket by McCormick Templeman to your list of adaptations. It's a loose adaptation, but still a really good, creepy book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't aware this was based on Snow White.

      Delete
  6. Snow White is my least favorite Disney princess too. My favorite has always been and will always be Belle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great Mel. You put so much work into this post. i would love to see more posts like this one. Snow White is not one my favorite disney movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this film. And Snow White is such a great story, I love the fairytale. Gorgeous post!

    I also tagged you in the Reading Tag on my blog!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never realized how many covers this movie had! o.O Snow White is my least favorite princess/movie as well. That voice is down right irritating.

    Neil Gaiman has a short story about Snow White (totally badass). It used to be free online but I can't find it anymore: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6366271-snow-glass-apples?from_search=true

    And Tear You Apart (the "sequel" to Kill Me Softly) is all about Snow White and is pretty true to the original Snow White story.

    And I'm going to lose my mind when Into the Woods comes out! Fairytales and a musical, Disney at its best!

    Amber Elise @Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's crazy how many versions there are! I kept stumbling on different ones. I believe I have a bundle of his short stories - and this one is in it. I need to check it out.

      Delete
  10. I'm also not too big a fan of Snow White. I LOVE her in OUAT, but she isn't my favorite Disney princess as far as the movies go. Her story never intrigued me and I never particularly cared for her, either.

    I love this feature! I hope at some point you do Rapunzel (if you haven't already) because she's one of my favorite Disney princesses, along with Sleeping Beauty.

    I've heard the theory that Snow White is really a parallel for cocaine, which REALLY freaks me out. But then again, I think people try and read too far into Disney stories and often forget that these were original tales told by the Grimm brothers a loooooong time ago. That being said, this totally could have been a story relating to the side effects of drugs, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I was first planning to tackle the Disney movies in order, but I'm just going to switch it up. I might post this one earlier, because you want to see it :D

      Delete
  11. This is such a cute post! Love the idea as well, so creative and a great reference point :) Now I'm gonna go watch some Disney as well!

    Tracey @PrintedWordsAnd

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. Especially at the end, the little hidden childhood ruined photo, that made me giggle. Now you have me wanting to watch OUAT. I feel like I'm missing out on some epicness. I hate not being part of a bandwagon. I feel so behind the times! Haha! I also need to get on the Lunar Chronicles bandwagon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, you should join those fan clubs :D!

      Delete
  13. Wow,love this post,Mel!Looking forward to more of this kind,especially The Beauty and the Beast-it's my favourite fairytale.
    I don't like Snow White a lot either,she's too fair for my liking:)
    My favourite movie adaptation of Snow White is Mirror Mirror.Julia Roberts was amazing as the evil queen.
    Snow White and the huntsmen would have been better if they had cast someone else other than Kristen Stewart.Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were great though.
    I love Once Upon the Time.It's one of the best TV shows ever!My favourite character so far is Hook.Love him and Emma together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty and the beast <3 I look forward to make that post.

      Delete
  14. Fun fact: Snow White was the first full length animated movie and it got a special oscar! (one big and 7 small ones)

    And yes in OUAT she's awesome! Which reminds me... I have a new episode to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new feature Mel! I think it's so cool learning about the history behind a movie/fairy tale. Snow White is my least favorite Disney princess too. She just doesn't show much intelligence :/ I didn't like Snow White and the Huntsman either...Mirror Mirror was pretty good though! I also can't wait for Marissa Meyer's Winter! I can't believe we have to wait over a year for that book D:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to agree with you, Snow White is by far my least favourite Disney Princess, and possibly Disney Movie (although Dumbo is a close second. That movie terrified me as a kid!). And I freaking ADORE OuaT! I miss Snow acting as badass as she was in season 1, we've only seen glimpses of that since. I don't know when the episodes for the new season show where you are, so I won't say anything else in case they're spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this feature! It's fabulously detailed, Mel! You've got me thinking about my childhood all over again. But...that picture at the end. I've gotten used to so many of those fun facts that slaughter my childhood perception of these tails that now I just laugh :D

    Jess @ My Reading Dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is a bit funny to read those facts.

      Delete
  18. Oh em gee, Mel! What an amazing post and idea! I personally love Snow White, but I agree that she isn't one of my favourite Princesses. She's kind of weak and stupid (haha as you said about taking the apple LOL) but I love the movie and book adaptations that there are of her story! Where would this story end without her stupidity? xD I have Stitching Snow, and am planning on reading it very soon! WINTER IS GOING TO BE AMAZING OMG. *fangirls like a maniac*

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dutch version never aired in suriname. those names made me giggle 😝

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so interesting to read about Snow White - it's not my favorite either, but it is special because it is the first Disney animated film. I super love what they did with most of the characters in OUAT though! I feel like I want to make that show canon for these fairy tales. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that I can basically refer back to this post when I'm craving a SNOW WHITE retelling so thank you for that!

    True story - Someday My Prince Will Come is one of my all time favorite songs of ever, and it's in the Disney animated movie! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh goodness that was a great overview! You must have done some great digging around to find all those adaptations and books. I adore Charlize Theron - eeegad Stewart yuck. I love Heath Ledger - nom nom nom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. It took me quite some time, but based on the comments it was worth it! Heath Ledger, definitely eye candy!

      Delete
  23. I love this! There's so much information! I agree, Snow White is probably my least favorite of the princesses--and I forgot until recently how annoying her voice is! I rewatched it, and was kind of cringing the whole time. :) Snow from OUAT is way awesome, though, and she definitely redeems Snow White a bit for me. I've read Gail Carson Levine's Fairest, but I don't remember all that much about it. I did really like The Fairest of Them All, though, because it's very dark and it involves both Snow White and Rapunzel! :)

    I can't wait to see what you cover next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't decide whether I like her Dutch or English voice more.. they are both a bit too high pitched.

      Delete
  24. I've never been a huge fan of Snow White myself, but the dwarfs ARE cute. :P
    I'll be interested to see how you feel about Stitching Snow. Almost everyone has been pretty "meh" about it, but I actually really enjoyed it! The story spans several planets and the characters are pretty engaging. Fingers crossed for you.
    And then of course if ANYONE can make the Snow White story good it's Marissa Meyer - I'm beyond stoked for Winter. I can't believe they pushed it to late 2015. :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loving these posts Mel! You must be putting an INSANE amount of work in these to get the background/origin details,adaptations, books, movies...etc linked up and all that and I love you for it! It's been a LONG time since I've seen Snow White but it was never one of my favorite Disney films. I'd have to rewatch though...Stitching SNow and of course WINTER are both on the tbr shelf (of course)! I definitely felt much like you about Snow White & the Huntsman. Kristen Stewart. What were they thinking?! Charlize and Chris Hemsworth were awesome though ♥ Oh and I really like the Brother Grimm film too - Heath ♥!! Thanks for sharing those AWESOME Snow White posters too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of work, but so much fun to do! :D

      Delete
  26. Wow, loving this! It must have taken you forever to get all of the information together. All the Disney movies? Like all of the classics? Or just all of the more well known classics? I've been collecting them all on DVD and want to start to make my way through them all again. I have my favourites and Snow White isn't one of them. It's not a terrible film but it's just not a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG Mel this might be my favorite post you've written ever. Alright I don't know if that's true because you've written a lot of great posts but this was so much fun! I love the little pieces of you throughout like the 'Mel fact' and your feelings about Kristen Stuart (which I totally agree with) And I never knew so much about Snow White! I've only seen the Disney movie and no other version and didn't have all of the history. I refuse to watch Snow White and the Huntsmen because of Kristen Stuart but maybe I'll watch Mirror Mirror someday. I can't wait for Marissa Meyer's take on Snow White in Winter. And I don't know what to make of that last fact. I've heard Disney movies have all kinds of deeper meaning/ subtle messages/images but I don't know what's true! Anyway, LOVED this post and can't wait for future ones :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awhh, thanks Nicole! I'm also not sure about the last fact, but it is interesting to think about, haha.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.