Review 240. Libba Bray – Lair of dreams.

Lair of dreamsTitle: Lair of dreams.
Author: Libba Bray.
Pages: 624.
Published: August 25th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Sort: Part 2 of The Diviners.
Review part 1. The Diviners.
Source: Netgalley and publisher, thanks!
The longing of dreams draws the dead, and this city holds many dreams. After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O’Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. With her uncanny ability to read people’s secrets, she’s become a media darling, earning the title “America’s Sweetheart Seer.” Everyone’s in love with the city’s newest It Girl…everyone except the other Diviners. Piano-playing Henry DuBois and Chinatown resident Ling Chan are two Diviners struggling to keep their powers a secret—for they can walk in dreams. And while Evie is living the high life, victims of a mysterious sleeping sickness are turning up across New York City. As Henry searches for a lost love and Ling strives to succeed in a world that shuns her, a malevolent force infects their dreams. And at the edges of it all lurks a man in a stovepipe hat who has plans that extend farther than anyone can guess…As the sickness spreads, can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld to save the city?
Rating:
Dream with me..

Appendectomy-scar good (as Evie would say)! We had to wait a long time for the release of Lair of dreams, but it’s just as good as The Diviners. Libba Bray managed to create story with a subtle creepiness that seeps into the story of a diverse cast. Libba knows how to write and how to handle different point of views. The book never gets overwhelming and she choose the right moments to showcast another character.

Evie talks on the radio because of her famous status as object-reader. She has no contact with Uncle Will and she is trying to avoid Jericho, because she knows her friend Mabel fancies him. Instead, Evie ends up in a fake-engagement with her ‘enemy’ Sam. The two have hilarious banter and I remember shipping them in the first book, so I was quite happy with this development. Sam has his own problems and he wants Evie to help him; he wants to find out what happened to his mother and what the meaning is of Project Buffalo. It is a dangerous quest.

I loved Sam and how he is set on finding out the truth. I like it when characters are so loyal to the ones they care for. The only thing that bothered me is how Evie acted every now and then. She isn't the best friend for Mabel and it seems like her new status is too overwhelming, which turns her into a different person.

Henry is still dream-walking and on one night he meets Ling and Wae-Mei. Together with Ling he hopes to be able to find his boyfriend Louis, whom he lost years ago after his father disapproval. Ling wants to save her best friend George, who is trapped in the sleeping disease that is spreading across the city. People are locked into their dreams and they are no longer able to wake-up. Nobody can explain what is going on and we get glimpses of these terrifying nightmares. Ling was a fantastic new character. She is a really strong girl and I admired her willingness to help a stranger. The glimpses of Henry and Louis in the past were adorable.


We also see Memphis and his brother Isaiah. Memphis is slowly exploring his returning gift of healing. I was a bit scared of blind Bill, who is portraying to be a caring, nice person but is actually after more. This storyline is a bit smaller, but I can’t wait to explore more. I think they will play a bigger role in the next book.

The ending of this book is fabulous and incredibly mean at the same time. It makes you want to pick up the next one, but then you realize you need to wait a long time before that is possible. Hurry up Libba, we need more! Pieces of the puzzle are slowly falling together and I think we still haven't seen the whole picture that Libba is creating. It's an exciting, thrilling ride!

16 comments

  1. I actually had quite a handful of problems with The Diviners, but still, I really want to read this book! I enjoyed the world building of the first book and curious to know more!
    Great review Mel!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous review Mel :D YAY for mostly loving this book. <3 So glad you weren't disappointed with it. I'm just angry about the romance, which I peeked at, so I will not read this one, sadly :\ Even though I gave book one 5 stars. Ugh. One day, I hope :) Your review is awesome. So happy you loved it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I could have expected this, because I know how you are with your romance ;)

      Delete
  3. I actually still need to crack open my copy of The Diviners but since I got an arc of Lair of Dreams, I still wanted to read your thoughts on the sequel^^ I'm thrilled that you thought it was just as strong as the original and now I'm looking forward to diving into this world even sooner! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mel! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh nice! I haven't read this one yet, but I did read Diviners just last month! Better late than never! Especially with that long delay in books! Glad to see it was an enjoyable read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Diviners and I LOVED iiitttt. I recently just had the honor of meeting Libba Bray, and she is the best. This review makes me want to read Lair of Dreams even more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored The Diviners and I really hope to love Lair of Dreams as much as you did! Libba Bray really did a stunning job with all of these characters and I can't wait to find out more about them and how their lives intertwine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry and Louis! They broke my heart in so many ways: both lovingly and painfully. I loved the mystery to this one, so sad. I ship Jerricho and Evie so I was soo frustrated with this book. Libba keeps playing with my emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Diviners so much - definitely one of my favorite books of 2015 - thus I'm DYING to pick up Lair of Dreams, but I've never been a patient person so I'm not sure I'll be able to wait until the third book. IDK what to do! Your review made me super-eager to read the novel but...but... the waiting might kill me. Anyhow, I'm really glad about the fact that Sam and Evie spend more time together because while I loved Jericho, I don't think he was a great fit for Evie.
    Great review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting is one of the hardest parts about being a bookworm! I agree.

      Delete
  9. YAY! I am so glad you loved this one, Mel :D

    I have to say that I am more than a little terrified for Memphis and Isaiah because Bill would have to be one of the creepiest and seediest characters I've read about. He seems so un-remorseful and manipulative, and I fear for my precious characters </3

    I have to agree that Evie isn't the best of friends sometimes, but I also feel like she acts a lot, and she's a lot more deep than she ever lets people see. I love her, even if she can be a bit flighty sometimes.

    I REALLY HOPE we don't have to wait three years for the next one, because I want to know everything that happens right now. Let's pray to the bookish deities for a quick third book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill is terrifying and I'm afraid of what he might do next..

      Delete
  10. I still need to read The Diviners, so clearly I need to get on that ASAP. This series sounds great, and it seems like the characters are always developing, which is nice to see. I loved her other series so I have high hopes for this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful review Mel! I loved The Diviners and Lair of Dreams SO MUCH. I had tears in my eyes when I met Libba because of it and she is the absolutely sweetest person ever. I think this book was so well done and definitely creepy. I too was afraid of Blind Bill even though his role is still small. My only complaint would have to be how Evie acted and the love-triangle (square?) forming but I still think this book deserves all the stars!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.