Review 244. Renee Ahdieh - The wrath and the Dawn.

Title: The wrath and the dawn.
Author: Renée Ahdieh.
Pages: 388.
Published: May 12th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Sort: Part 1 of the duology The wrath and the dawn.
One Life to One Dawn.
In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all. Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?
Rating:

The wrath an the dawn is inspired by A thousand and one nights and it is all I could have wished for. I fell in love with both characters, their chemistry and the true reason behind the sacrifices Khalid makes. The ending definitely leaves you hanging and wanting for more. This is one of the best books I’ve read this year and I am so happy this is a hyped book that truly lived up to my expectations.

Khalid marries a new bride every day and he has her executed in the morning. Sharhzad volunteers to be his next victim and she is hell-bent on stopping him. In the evening she tells him a story and this captivates him in such a way, he lets her live. Night after night she weaves a tale and during the time they spend together, Sharzhad starts to realize that Khalid might not be the monster she thought he would be. She starts to question her mission and her new feelings confuse her.

Sharzhad is amazing. She is fierce and intelligent. You must be really brave and strong if you take the decision to become his new bride. Sharzhad could lose everything, but her cunning mind saves her.  I loved how her feelings develop throughout the story. The two start with a crazy chemistry that sparked from the pages. The author had a perfect timing for the romance and the different stages between ‘I hate everything you are’ to ‘I think I’m starting to fall for you.’ Sharhzad always has these moments of doubt, even when she starts to see him in a different light. The approach to their unique relation made it feel realistic and I shipped it so hard.



In the end everything seems to fall apart. The world is no longer the same and Khalid knew from the beginning what he was starting when he didn’t execute Sharhzad. I admired him for making such a choice and the fact he managed to carry such a heavy burden. He maintained an air of mystery throughout the story. I don’t feel I got to know him as well as Sharzhad, but I really appreciate his character. I can’t wait to learn more about him.

There is a slight touch of a love-triangle, but the author handles this with care and in such a way that it makes sense. Tariq is Sharzhad’s youth friend and the two of them seemed to have plans to get married in the future. It’s not strange she is torn apart by two different futures, especially because she went into the palace with murder in her mind - and now she is defending the same man from being killed.

The cliff-hanger at the end is simultaneously the worst and the best. This is the right way to use a cliff-hanger, but at the same time I only want more, more, more!

17 comments

  1. I started reading this a week ago and then sort of moved on to other books. I've seen so many good reviews of it, though, that I'm considering going back to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I'm so glad you loved this one too! I really love the characters too and admire the sacrifices they make for each other and for those they love. The romance was spectacular as was the chemistry! This cliff hanger is driving me nuts, I need to know what happens next... Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I desperately want to read this! There are so many raving reviews and it sounds amazing... I think I must put it on my christmas list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, I loved this one too!! Such a slow burn between Khalid & Shahrzad - and the writing is just so. good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL: "The cliffhanger at the end is simultaneously the worst and the best." YES. A million times yes. I actually docked my rating one star because it felt so cruel…but at the same time, it made me NEED book 2 like nothing else XD I adored this too Mel, I am so happy that you felt the same way! The romance made me swoon, and you're right: the love-triangle made sense. The writing was GLORIOUS <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, brutal ending and I love it when love-triangles make sense. I could see it happen in real life.

      Delete
  6. Great review, Mel! I'm glad this one met all of your expectations. I still have to read it for myself - the slight love triangle worries me - but I'm still excited. I've heard so many great things about it, especially the romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it's so realistic, I don't think it will bother you at all :)

      Delete
  7. Ik had nog niet over dit boek gehoord, maar het klinkt erg gaaf! Die gaat zeker op mijn leeslijstje :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mooi! Ik hoop dat je hem leuk vindt als je de tijd krijgt om hem te lezen :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous review Mel :D So so so glad that you loved this book so much. YAY! I have yet to read it.. but soon, I hope :) It sounds amazing. Yay for loving the romance. Boy sounds so awesome. Sigh. I just. I fear I will hate the triangle parts. Ugh. Just, hope there aren't drama in book two. Hmph. Fingers crossed :D Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie. <3 So happy you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to get this book so bad! This is just another post encouraging me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A 5+!! Wow, so glad to hear how much you loved this one, Mel! I love the sound of the exotic setting and the hate-to-love romance. I need to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I MUST read this book!! Everyone's been talking about it ughhhh!!!! I loved this review, it has inspired me to pick up a copy as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.