Love-a-thon | Mix and Match. Animation movies.

This challenge is hosted by Hazel and is all about showcasing all things you like that mash-up with your bookish life. I immediately had to think about my love for pretty covers, especially with artwork on it; and that is a perfect connection with my love for animation movies. I also have a weakness for covers from fairytale retellings, my favorite genre with fantasy, and I think animation movies have the same magical feeling as those retellings. So here is my mix and mash between books and animation movies.

P.S. Link up at Stay Bookish in order to be entered in the giveaway for this challenge!
P.S.S It is not too late to sign up! 


Get-to-know-me_thumb2
I already talked about my obsession for Disney in my top 3 favorite Disney movies and 3 of my favorite forgotten Disney movies. Today I want to talk about all the non-Disney/Pixar animation movies that I have fallen in love with over the years.



The secrets of Kell.
I had never seen this type of art work before and I absolutely fell in love with all the details. IMDb summary tells you the best what this movie is about: A young boy in a remote medieval outpost under siege from barbarian raids is beckoned to adventure when a celebrated master illuminator arrives with an ancient book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers.

tumblr_meqigxsGM51r5cmqwo1_500_thumb
How to train your dragon.
I cried about the second movie and I don’t think that has ever happened with animation movies. I’m not an easy crier to begin with, but they did it. Toothless is adorable and I loooove the dynamic between Astrid/Hiccup. Again IMDb: A hapless young Viking who aspires to hunt dragons, becomes the unlikely friend of a young dragon himself, and learns there may be more to the creatures than he assumed.
dragon_thumb2
Despicable me.
I’m not sure what you’ve been doing if you don’t know the Minions, Gru and the three adorable kids he adopts to fulfil his master plan.
dance_thumb2
Rise of the guardians.
First of all: can Elsa and Jack get together, please? IMDb: When the evil spirit Pitch launches an assault on Earth, the Immortal Guardians team up to protect the innocence of children all around the world.
Jack.8_thumb2
Corpse bride.
IMDb: When a shy groom practices his wedding vows in the inadvertent presence of a deceased young woman, she rises from the grave assuming he has married her. I love this animation style. It’s the same with movies like A nightmare before Christmas and Frankenweenie.
tumblr_n7ltxjuxiD1snusg4o1_500_thumb

Prince of Egypt.
I went to Christian schools, so I am aware of bible stories and I was always fascinated by Moses and the different plagues. I thought it was a pretty violent way to take care of the problem and it’s one of the examples that make me question faith. *cough* However, I really love this movie and songs.
71d4370371bfbefe0f965ee49f3d38d2_thu
Shrek. What I love mostly about Shrek is how it deals with the message that appearances aren’t all that matters. Shrek is hunted down and finally settles down in the swamp where he is finally free of all prejudices against his species. I also love the fact Fiona embraces who she is too, because of love and of course we have Donkey, Puss in boots and other secondary characters that make this a colourful, happy story.
tumblr_m96clrhdDI1r2n5a3o1_500_thumb

Horton (hears a who).
This is a movie based on a book by Dr. Seuss and it is so cute! Horton is a big elephant who hears voices on a flower and he will do anything to protect this tiny community. We see both Horton and the Who’s and I think it’s a clever story.
tumblr_mgl9ul7yt81rxwst1o1_500_thumb

Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga’hoole.
I had some hesitation about this movie, because I wondered how interesting a movie could be about owls. I was so wrong. This movie is beautiful.
tumblr_m06exzzaWO1r07qp1_thumb2

The Tale of Despereaux.
A different kind of animation style and I kind of like it. Mouses are taught in school to be afraid of almost everything, but it doesn’t work on Despereaux. He is a brave mouse and that brings him on one big adventure.

tumblr_m2wtt451Rk1qjwtm4o1_500_thumb
Thumbelina.
A tiny girl, called Thumbelina, meets a fairy prince who saves her from the creatures of the woods.


Quest for Camelot.
A movie I watched overandoverandover again with my sister when we were little. She is adventurous, he is a blind hermit and together with a goofy two-headed dragon they need to find the lost sword Excalibur to save King Arthur and Camelot from the evil guy.



Swan princess. (3 movies)A sorcerer curses her to be a swan by day, and herself by night.


Anastasia.
About the Russian princess who is hid after the death of her parents. Her grandmother is still looking for her, but Anya has no memory of her past and Dimitri wants to use that to receive the sum of money the Duchess promised.


Little Nemo: adventures in Slumberland.A boy is sucked into this dreams where he unleashes and old secret that could destroy his dream and reality itself.



Tell me, do you love animation movies as much as I do? Do we have any favorites in common? What are some of your favorite animation movies?

21 comments

  1. OH MY GOD I love this post so much! TOOTHLESS FTW!! I, too, cried during the second movie (also, that score is amazing. John Powell is soooo good!) Also yes to Elsa & Jack <3. I looove Despicable Me, Prince of Egypt (again, that music omg!), Shrek, Thumbelina, Swan Princess, Quest for Camelot & Anastasia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing Anastasia on your list made me remember how much I love the song Once Upon a December, so I now have that playing in the background as I type up this comment.

    I do appreciate animated movies. From my childhood, Disney's Robin Hood was my absolute favorite! Now that I'm a little older, I ADORE Miyazaki films. Spirited Away is probably my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many movies in this list that I didn't even knew existed. I am not proud of this and I really need to start watching all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen Swan Princess and I NEED to. The Secrets of Kell is GORGEOUS. I remember the first time I watched it and I was so taken with everything about it! I even love the movie poster<3 And How To Train Your Dragon is a favorite of mine! I love Astrid and Toothless and Hiccup and the whole gang! The second film was so sad though! I've only been able to watch that one once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANASTASIA AND THE PRINCE OF EGYPT WERE MY CHILDHOOD OH MY GOD. I CRIED SO MUCH BECAUSE OF THE FILMS... The Prince of Egypt left such an impact to me and the songs and the intensity! OH MY GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS POST!!! I am a huge movie buff, and animated movies hold a special place in my heart!
    TOOTHLESS IS ADORABLE!!! It's hard not to cry while watching that movie!
    I love Despicable Me! Everything about that movie is so cute, even Gru!I never get tired of watching it!
    JACK AND ELSA!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!! THIS NEEDS TO BE A CANON SHIP! I ship those two to death, and it's so sad! :D But dude, Jack is hot! I was totally swooning over him in that movie!
    Shrek is one of my all time favs! I feel like it teaches a lot of life lessons, and I myself learned a lot from it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the nostalgia oh childhood movies! I'm totally going to watch some of these and soon. Love Shrek and Despicable Me! I've seen Prince of Egypt countless times because I also went to a Catholic school. One of my favourite off the top of my head (I haven't watched an animation movie in forever and my memory isn't the best) is Monsters Inc. Inventive, fun and Boo was the absolute cutest. I definitely have some re-watches in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHHHH :D This post is SO AWESOME Mel. <3 Gosh. Thank you so much for sharing about all of these precious movies :) I love so many of them too. Especially HTTYD. <3 And RotG. And Thumbelina. And Anastasia. And oh my god. Little Nemo. It has been SO LONG since I saw it :( I used to watch it a whole lot. It was amazing in Norwegian. But I only have it on VHS. And cannot find it in better quality. SOBS. I wish to re-watch it :) Hmph. Must go hunt for it again, lol. Anyway :D Loooved this post. <3 Oh! And Shrek :D Looove those movies. Well, mostly just movie one and two :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Animation is my favorite type of movies! How To Train A Dragon really touched me. I loved The Prince of Egypt. Two of my other favorites are Cars and Inside Out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anastasia is zeker een van mijn favorieten, maar Prince of Egypt is ook heel mooi! Dat was vroeger een van mijn favo films die we op school keken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love this post!! These movies are all so good and I love the GIFs you chose for them! This really made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love this post, Mel! I'm definitely a fan of animated films, and you've included some of my childhood favorites. I'll always have a soft spot for Anastasia <3 And I, too, sobbed like a baby watching How to Train Your Dragon 2! I also cried watching Rise of the Guardians, which is a film I totally loved <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. AHHHH YES WE SHARE SO MANY FAVOURITES! Definitely Anastasia for me. <3 I love those two bickering little adorable darlings. Will ship forever. *nods sagely* And I adore How to Train Your Dragon OF COURSE. Because dragons. Also the Prince of Egypt is amazing. I was only looking at gifs for that the other day and remember how freakishly fantastic it is (Zipporah is waaaay too fabulous). XDXD

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE THIS! I love animated movies.
    I really enjoyed watching How to Train Your Dragon. It is one of my daughter's favorite movies.
    Growing up I loved watching Thumbelina, The Swan Princess and Anastasia. And OH MY GOODNESS!!! Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland! I remember watching this when I was younger and loved it. I haven't seen it in SO LONG!
    Anastasia is one of my favorites. I remember watching it over and over again. Singing the songs and knowing the words. Makes me want to watch it again soon.
    Excellent post! I love it!
    Stephanie @ My Bookish Itinerary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Despicable Me is one of my all-time favorites! I actually collect minions now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so going back to this post and watch all thyese animated stuff when I'm not busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! Movies are my second love and I love animated movies and I see you've listed some of my faves! I need to watch some of these since its been a while. Thanks for this awesome list! For some reason, I can never comment using my wordpress(Rochelle @Cover2Cover: http://www.chocomeiske.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! I love animated movies, too!

    Thumbelina is one of my favorites. I used to watch it all the time. I have a DVD of it somewhere, but it got lost in all my stuff when I moved away from college. I need to find it. Anastasia is another favorite of mine. I bought the DVD of that, too, and I still watch it from time to time. And the Swan Princess! I love that one too.

    I think we just became best friends. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I watched The Swan Princess films over and over again :D Anastasia too, but I don't think I had it on video or dvd so I only watched it when it was on tv. I really need to rewatch it! I also love HTTYD (I cried too), Rise of the Guardians (yes to Jelsa please!), Despicable Me, The Tale of Desperaux and Shrek of course! I agree with you on the messages in Shrek; I also love how they parody fairytales and their tropes :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post makes me so happy 'cause I'm a big animation nerd! I was so excited to see The Secret of Kells on your list too. As much as I LOVE Disney/Pixar, I think it's probably my favorite animated film. Have you seen Song of the Sea? It's another film by the same company that did The Secret of Kells (and in the same style). I've been dying to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have SUCH love for animated movies. Disney in particular, but I cannot help but adore Despicable Me. The minions are too funny. Tim Burton is great, and I think my favorites are Corpse Bride and Coraline! I also love Coraline the book. ❤

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.