Let it go | Boring, okay and amazing.



Let it go is my new feature, where I will spotlight all the books I DNF and the ones I read, but don’t want to review. And yes, the name is based on the wonderful song from the movie Frozen. This feature is based on several other DNF features.

2495567Title: The name of the wind.
Author: Patrick Rothfuss.
Pages: 722.
Published: 2007 by DAW.
Sort: The Kingkiller Chronicles #1.
Source: Christmas present from Daisy.
Rating: 2 OUT OF 5.
Innkeeper Kote narrates most of his tale to the Chronicler. Kvothe, when his family troupe of traveling players is massacred, spends years starving, beaten beyond count, in a crime-ridden city, then daringly enters a legendary school of magic.
This book was such a let down and I’m disappointed I didn’t love it like almost everybody. I guess I’m the black sheep here, because if there is one thing I can say about this book it would be ‘boring.’ Utterly boring. I thought this book would be filled with magic and perhaps even epic battles, but all I got was the terribly slow and uninteresting story told by an arrogant show-off. Kvothe really thinks he is a big deal, because he is supposed to be so intelligent, but he makes some pretty stupid decisions if you ask me. I don’t give a shit about Kvothe and this series is now on my ‘DNF-series list’ 722 pages was a struggle (to be honest, I only finished it because I got it as a present) and the sequel is close to a 1000 pages. No, thank you very much.

17622948Title: Witchstruck.
Author: Victoria Lamb.
Pages: 320.
Published: September 24th 2013 by Harlequin Teen.
Sort: Tudor Witch #1.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Rating: 3 OUT OF 5.
If she sink, she be no witch and shall be drowned. If she float, she be a witch and must be hanged. Meg Lytton has always known she is different;that she bears a dark and powerful gift. But in 1554 England, in service at Woodstock Palace to the banished Tudor princess Elizabeth, it has never been more dangerous to practise witchcraft. Meg knows she must guard her secret carefully from the many suspicious eyes watching over the princess and her companions. One wrong move could mean her life, and the life of Elizabeth, rightful heir to the English throne. With witchfinder Marcus Dent determined to have Meg's hand in marriage, and Meg's own family conspiring against the English queen, there isn't a single person Meg can trust. Certainly not the enigmatic young Spanish priest Alejandro de Castillo, despite her undeniable feelings. But when all the world turns against her, Meg must open her heart to a dangerous choice.
Witchstruck was one of those books that manage to take historical events and twist them into something new. I'm a huge fan of everything that has to do with The Tudors, so when I found this book with a paranormal twist I knew I had to read it; and I'm glad I did!

The first thing I liked were the characters. Elizabeth is exactly how I imagine she would be. Deep down she is soft and hungry for love, but she puts on a strong mask and she has the proud and arrogant way from her mother. I like how she's never truly bowing down to the will of her half-sister.

Then there is our MC, who embraces her gifts as a witch without hesitation. I thought she was a clever girl and I like how she refused Marcus no matter what. (That was one creepy guy) While the plot is pretty basic and there aren't many climaxes, I had a great adventure with this book.

TitleNimona.
Author: Noelle Stevenson.
Pages: 272.
Published: May 19th 2015 by Harper Collins.
Sort: Stand-alone comic.
Source: Edelweiss & Publisher (but is also free on: Gingerhaze)
Rating: 4 OUT OF 5.
Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones. Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are. But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.
It has been a while since I've read a comic and I was delighted by Nimona. I wasn't blown away by the drawing style in the beginning, but I warmed up for it and was sucked into the story. I read it in one sitting and I liked the story behind Nimona and how Ballister turned into a villain.

Nimona is a kick-ass girl with an interesting past. She is feisty and her shape shifting abilities are amazing. One moment she is a girl with pink hair, the next moment she has turned into a shark. It was fun how she acts like a true villain ("why don't you just kill him, that is what villains do?") while Ballister is more into thwarting the Institution. There is one thing sure: you don't want to mess with her! Ballister is also a complex character and I liked his relationship with his arch nemesis Abrosius. I was totally shipping them to be honest, haha.

The only downside is that the ending might have been a bit abrupt. I would have liked to see a little more closure, because there are some minor questions left. I believe the author said that a sequel isn't ruled out, so I have my fingers crossed. I want more Nimona!

4 comments

  1. Aww, I'm sorry that Name of the Wind really didn't work for you Mel but I think we all know how it feels to be the black sheep. It just happens sometimes! You've intrigued me with Witchstruck though - I've seen it around but I think yours is the first review I've read for it and it sounds good! And Nimona is already on my wishlist/TBR shelf. I hope I can get my hands on it soon :D Lovely bunch of reviews ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see why The Name of the Wind wasn't for you, I did like it in the end but it is just soooo long! And a story in a story with more stories in it... Still I'm curious for the second book although it will be a while before I dare to start reading that beast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a shame about The Name of the Wind - I loved it - but I can also understand why it doesn't work for some people. It's slow and looooong, but I particularly enjoyed how slow it was and how well I got to know everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely reviews Mel :D Uuugh, I'm sorry the first one was so disappointing :( I don't think I would like it either, lol. Also haven't heard of it before.. ack. But yay for liking Nimona :) It looks so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.